NZBF: Great winter feeding article

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
maungaturoto
Experience
Commercial
i had a quick look at the article. overseas stuff i tend to ignore because its not comparable to what our conditions are here. its very easy to be clouded by crap that doesn't matter.
however a simply take away is, if you set up your hives properly before winter then there is no need to feed mid winter.
i remember a young beekeeper asked me at bee conference about what feeding we do over winter, and was rather shocked when i said we don't do any.

Reactions: Josh

yesbut

Staff member
Nelson
Experience
Hobbyist
Although as Dave Black has mentioned, might not be so good if the bees had stashed away GWA dew......

Christchurch
Experience
Hobbyist
I do like how he describes making sure the feed is available. And the details regarding the phases of energy consumption.

Fiffe has very different winter weather to us. At cold as central Otago, as wet as Southland. Certainly nothing like Canterbury.

Grant

Staff member
Founder Member
Platinum
Fiffe has very different winter weather to us. At cold as central Otago, as wet as Southland. Certainly nothing like Canterbury.
As do the different regions of NZ so expect a few different answers. Although I agree about picking out international information