NZBF: Hello

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Marton
Experience
Beginner
Hi All,

I am also new to beekeeping. I am currently studying Level 3 Apiculture provided by Land Based Training. My wife and I have recently bought a 1.3ha section, and although we haven't started our build yet, I am keen to plant some fruit trees and set aside an area for some hives. There is an experienced beekeeper in the area who provides hives to the local farmers, and I am keen to meet him and pick his brains. I'll be looking for advice when I am ready to set up my hives, which will probably be next spring, as I want to wait until the initial construction of our property is well underway, and the chances of disturbing any newly setup hives is reduced.
I look forward to getting to know you all better.

Gareth

Reactions: Grant

Mummzie

Staff member
Tasman
Experience
Hobbyist
Welcome Gareth.
I hope your local beekeeper is welcoming and encouraging.
Keeping bees can lead you to many surprising places. You will learn than you can possibly imagine.

Masterton
Experience
Hobbyist
Hi All,

I am also new to beekeeping. I am currently studying Level 3 Apiculture provided by Land Based Training. My wife and I have recently bought a 1.3ha section, and although we haven't started our build yet, I am keen to plant some fruit trees and set aside an area for some hives. There is an experienced beekeeper in the area who provides hives to the local farmers, and I am keen to meet him and pick his brains. I'll be looking for advice when I am ready to set up my hives, which will probably be next spring, as I want to wait until the initial construction of our property is well underway, and the chances of disturbing any newly setup hives is reduced.
I look forward to getting to know you all better.

Gareth
Good luck with your new property development Gareth. We planted all our gardens and fruit trees during the build process and found that by the time we moved in the plants were well established. Research bee friendly plants that flower across the seasons and this will help your hives/s remain strong. We planted lots of fruit trees too and were rewarded with plenty of fruit thanks to the successful pollination rate with hives on the property. Around our drive we planted a hedge of feijoa trees and these both feed the bees and have us plenty of fruit for Jams, chutneys and relishes. We did plant 49 trees though! All the best, and enjoy your bees when you get them.

Wanganui
Experience
Hobbyist
Hi Gareth, I live north of Upokongaro near Lismore Forest, Wanganui, and am also working as a reader/writer for my dyslexic son who is doing the same course as you. We are doing the course in Normanby, Taranaki. I started beekeeping around 2005 and its been a rocky road as we are in manuka country and are surrounded by many, many commercial hives all year round. The Wanganui beekeeping club is a good place to meet other beekeepers, lots of helpful friendly folk. We are finding the online course homework a little challenging - how are you finding it?