Help with bees within wall

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Auckland
Experience
Non Beekeeper
I started hearing a sound coming from the wall in my bedroom about 1 or 2 weeks ago and then I noticed there are bees coming in/out through a gap in the outside weatherboards.

I know nothing about bees. Is there someone in Auckland (North Shore) that could help me with that? I heard there are some people that collect swarms for free, but I'm guessing that only happens if they are not inside somewhere... ?

I'm hoping for a solution where we don't need to remove boards/wall and they are not terminated. I'd bee happy.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Grant

Staff member
Founder Member
Platinum
If anyone in Auckland would like to pick this and other swarms up, please add your contacts to the swarm directory

Dunedin
Experience
Semi Commercial
I'm hoping for a solution where we don't need to remove boards/wall and they are not terminated. I'd bee happy.
I'm afraid removing exterior cladding is the only way anyone can get the bees out alive. The only other alternative is to poison the bees then block up all the gaps with a gap filler of your choice. If you don't fill the gaps, another swarm will 'sniff out' the wax and honey in the wall and make it their home, then you're back to square one.

Reactions: Sailabee and Grant
UK
Experience
International
The other problem if you don't seal up the cavity, is that bees can enter and then take the poison back to their own nest. I'd much rather be in NZ than the UK at the moment, however your authorities wouldn't let me in at the moment! Hopefully you'll fine someone soon who can help.

Reactions: Grant
Auckland
Experience
Non Beekeeper
I found out they are actually wasps.

I’m afraid that killing and closing without opening and cleaning the place could attract other kinds of insects or mould. Is that possible?

Reactions: Grant
E

Earthboy

I have rescued honeybees in the wall hundred times in America. Once you remove the wasp nests, make sure you fill up the void with insulation to remove any void. Depending on the size of the void, I use expanding foam insulation which comes in a can. You can squirt through a gap or hole which the wasps used as their entrance. This measure will prevent any future infestation. To kill them, you can use any wasp sprays from the store at night when all the foragers are back home.

Earthboy