Hi everyone,

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Auckland
Experience
Non Beekeeper
New to this site. Love bees, always have, Followed once a 10 week course back in the Netherlands to find out I’m allergic to bee stings..
Just an hour ago an overseas frien was talking about exporting bee queens to NZ. Giving the protective nature and regulations in NZ I thought of asking the question first prior to getting back to my friend with a wrong answer.
Appreciate any information you can provide.
thanks
Gerry with a G

Grant

Staff member
Founder Member
Platinum
No chance of bringing queens into NZ. Or any bee products.
As Trevor says the import restrictions on bees and associated products would make it extremely difficult if not impossible to do.
New Zealand has prohibited the import of live bees since about 1960 to protect its disease-free status.

Reactions: Sailabee
Russia
Experience
International
As Trevor says the import restrictions on bees and associated products would make it extremely difficult if not impossible to do.
New Zealand has prohibited the import of live bees since about 1960 to protect its disease-free status.
Grant, how did it happen that you got a varoa tick? the borders are closed. How long have you been fighting the tick?

Russia
Experience
International
Does your government have a program to combat varoa? In some European countries, there is a time when all beekeepers are required to treat all their hives from a tick at a certain time. within a week. this gives very good results. If you have processed, and the neighbor has not, all your efforts will be in vain. The bees will be infected again. and it's like fighting windmills.

Reactions: kaihoka