Hive doctor original bottom board and winter

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Springston
Experience
Hobbyist
Hi, anyone use these? First year with these. No definite instructions found anywhere for wintering. I assume because they are designed for ventilation this also includes winter to assist with airflow and no moisture or mould build up. I have the inserts for varroa testing and treatment but not sure if i use these in winter. Hives are on 2 pallets stacked.

Grant

Staff member
Founder Member
Platinum
Im just up the road from you and I used them when I started. They’re ok but there’s no landing board so I ended up using some that an old forum member made with a wooden frame and mesh base. They were brilliant

• Agree
Reactions: Alastair
Springston
Experience
Hobbyist
Im just up the road from you and I used them when I started. They’re ok but there’s no landing board so I ended up using some that an old forum member made with a wooden frame and mesh base. They were brilliant
Cool i find the landing board fine. Just wondering if designed to leave as is for winter underneath. I love the door feature esp with all the wasps hanging around this year.

New zealand
Experience
Semi Commercial
I close bottom of my bases off for winter. I use stuff they use for house sale signs. The hive doctor bases have little tabs for whatever u use to slide and hold in place . Happy winter

Reactions: tristan