Hivehub

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Christchurch
Experience
Beginner
The map pins are likely based on the geocoordinates that were registered in APIWEB, not street addresses.
I've only ever supplied street address on deca forms etc.

Theres something off in their map api usage. Google maps via api (enter address and it finds it) are normally spot on. If they are only adding 3 decimal places and sending that to google there will be issues of accuracy.

Here is the effect on decimal place usage on accuracy. 3 dp is 360 feet .. or 120m. That's consistent with slippage seen for urban maps

DecimalAccuracy
Six
4 inches
Five
3.6 feet
Four
36 feet
Three
360 feet
Two
3600 feet
0.7 miles
One
36,000 feet
6.9 miles

• Thanks
Reactions: Mark Lawrence

Grant

Staff member
Founder Member
Platinum
I am assuming that you are using a smartphone or tablet whilst out in the field. This is a web-based system,
*Newsflash* Mobile devices use the web too.

I know its not your fault, but using two fingers on a mobile device is the intended way its used for map work. If the website is not designed for mobile, it should clearly say so.

Mark Lawrence

Founder Member
Christchurch
Experience
Breeder
*Newsflash* Mobile devices use the web too.

I know its not your fault, but using two fingers on a mobile device is the intended way its used for map work. If the website is not designed for mobile, it should clearly say so.
Understand @Grant . I am sure the website is designed for mobile. What I was getting at was that the two fingers with the web based application still leaves scope for error as the user has to scroll/zoom to find the spot to drop the pin. With an App (as opposed to a website) the device will pick up the location via GPS (no scroll/zoom required).
Look forward to release of an App.

Mark Lawrence

Founder Member
Christchurch
Experience
Breeder
I've only ever supplied street address on deca forms etc.

Theres something off in their map api usage. Google maps via api (enter address and it finds it) are normally spot on. If they are only adding 3 decimal places and sending that to google there will be issues of accuracy.

Here is the effect on decimal place usage on accuracy. 3 dp is 360 feet .. or 120m. That's consistent with slippage seen for urban maps

DecimalAccuracy
Six
4 inches
Five
3.6 feet
Four
36 feet
Three
360 feet
Two
3600 feet
0.7 miles
One
36,000 feet
6.9 miles
That makes absolute sense @Wknz. Thank you for the table.
I believe that I only supplied street address many years ago when I registered the apiary. 360 feet (about 120m) is about how far out my map pin was in Hivehub.
I can only assume that APIWEB converted a street address to geocoordinates, but possibly truncated/rounded to 3 decimal places (or maybe not even that smart). These coordinates have then been imported to Hivehub.

There will be a bit of mopping up to do, but at the end of it the apiary database should be quite accurate (down to 4 inches as you point out).

Timw

Gold
Onehunga Auckland
Experience
Hobbyist
I like the new version of Hive Hub.. The map system works very well and by sending a request to the Agency I was able to fix up the exact location of my hives.

I have been very pleased with the level of response from the Staff.

Thanks
Ditto- efficient and easy to sort. My 4 hives were not precisely located - in 1 instance about a k away, so good fix

Auckland
Experience
Hobbyist
I can't login into Hivehub and I can't reset the pasword. I clicked on forgot pasword and entered the email but there is no email from them, not even after 30 min(checked spam folder too). Anybody else experienced something similar?