Home-made foundation

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Hawkes Bay
Experience
Commercial
I was helping an older beekeeping friend get her house ready to sell and was given a beautiful old AI Root handcranked foundation mill.
There is not much I haven't done in beekeeping over the years but I have never made my own foundation so this winter I think I will give it a go. I will still be getting 99.9% of my foundation from New Zealand beeswax but it would be nice to at least make a few sheets and tick it off my bucket list.
Has anybody ever attempted this themselves?

Mummzie

Staff member
Tasman
Experience
Hobbyist
I have a foundation press which requires melted wax to be poured, pressed and lifted from the silicon using compressed air.
The temperature of the wax is important, and often the sheets are more brittle than what I believe would be achieved by rollers.
I wish you every success and hope you can keep us posted on the result.
Pretty sure @bighands makes his own.

Reactions: Sailabee and Grant

southbee

Gold
Southland
Experience
Commercial
Never used a roller to make any foundation, but we did make a silicon press for drone comb many seasons ago. We used a special type of silicon which was liquid and then set. It did work, but oh what a glorious mess. And yes, the temperature of the wax was important and you needed the right amount of wax for a decent sheet. Haven't done any for a long time now. Using a roller sounds like a satisfying project, good luck with it!

Trevor Gillbanks

Founder Member
Palmerston North
Experience
Hobbyist
Here is one of the Fat Bee Mans videos on making wax foundation and putting those sheets thru a hand roller.

The hand rolling is important as it puts flexibility into the wax foundations.

Best wishes.

• Love
Reactions: Grant
Christchurch
Experience
Beginner
Here is one of the Fat Bee Mans videos on making wax foundation and putting those sheets thru a hand roller.

The hand rolling is important as it puts flexibility into the wax foundations.

Best wishes.

I was looking at nz wax and saw their requirements for not reheating wax or over heating wax. It seemingly changes the composition.
Does keeping your wax as virgin as possible make a difference when making your own foundation? Or the bees uptake of the foundation?

Trevor Gillbanks

Founder Member
Palmerston North
Experience
Hobbyist
I was looking at nz wax and saw their requirements for not reheating wax or over heating wax. It seemingly changes the composition.
Does keeping your wax as virgin as possible make a difference when making your own foundation? Or the bees uptake of the foundation?
I don't know. I just posted the Fat Beeman video. Maybe @bighands can answer this.

Reactions: Grant
West Coast
Experience
Hobbyist
I have never had any problem at all reheating the wax. I did my board in liquid wax to make the sheet for the foundation. As long as there is an adequate honey flow you will have no problem with the bees drawing wax foundation.