Honey as a rooting hormone

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Mummzie

Staff member
Tasman
Experience
Hobbyist
To the botanists or plant people amongst us,
I have a camellia that is very attractive to the bees and would like to take cuttings.
While researching on google, I came across this from a NZ Gardner article from 2015

"Active manuka honey works wonders on difficult cuttings. Make sure it has a UMF of at least 15+."

I have previously seen a suggestion to use honey on cuttings but no mention of UMF. Is this comment a hangover of the hype at the time?

Reactions: Grant

Mummzie

Staff member
Tasman
Experience
Hobbyist
Or the soil from around willows works as @yesbut has suggested.
Thanks guys.
That's easier than making willow water ! I wonder if there's a concentration difference and how much it matters.

"Recommendations for the exact method of soaking vary. Cold water can be used, and soaking times of four or more weeks are often quoted. Other gardeners use boiling water to steep the willow twigs and soak the mixture for around 24 hours."

Mid-summer seems to be the time to be taking the cuttings.

Mummzie

Staff member
Tasman
Experience
Hobbyist
or, given I'm not an organanic purist, I could use the rooting hormone I have...........

but its been very interesting reading about all the uses of willow. Its a valuable tree all round.

Grant

Staff member
Founder Member
Platinum
I have previously seen a suggestion to use honey on cuttings but no mention of UMF. Is this comment a hangover of the hype at the time?
It was suggested through an IPPS member that Unique Manuka. Factor (UMF)-rated manuka honey worked well on some New Zealand native plant species.....
Unfortunately it looks like its behind a memberwall

Bay of Plenty
Experience
Commercial
To the botanists or plant people amongst us,
I have a camellia that is very attractive to the bees and would like to take cuttings.
While researching on google, I came across this from a NZ Gardner article from 2015

"Active manuka honey works wonders on difficult cuttings. Make sure it has a UMF of at least 15+."

One of our local comedy tv shows had an overseas comedian open up with "is there anything you kiwis don't use manuka honey for"?