Honey Buzzard

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
They eat bee brood also but only if they can get at combs in the open like on the side of a cliff or similar. Hives in wooden hives are safe. These birds spend most of their time on the forest floor seeking out and digging up wasp nests, which they eat.

It is thought they have some kind of chemical in their feathers to ward off the wasps.

kaihoka

Gold
whanganui inlet
Experience
Hobbyist
There are so many animals and birds that make life tricky for bee keepers in other countries.
Despite our varroa and AFB we really only have the weather in NZ we can reasonably moan about.

Alastair

Founder Member
Platinum
Auckland
Experience
Semi Commercial
I reckon some of these birds here in NZ would be a good thing. For beekeepers anyway as they would not bother our wooden hives.

Google says they do eat the occasional small bird though so could be a danger to our natives.

Reactions: kaihoka

Alastair

Founder Member
Platinum
Auckland
Experience
Semi Commercial
Yes, which is why I pointed that out. They would definately be helpful with the wasp situation, but would almost certainly be harmful in other ways. Probably do very well in the South Island beech forests.

Or, they may just take some of the niche already occupied by our native hawks, and the introduced Australian hawk. Just, they would mainly eat wasps.

Many of our introduced pests were introduced with good intent. And is why when new organisims are introduced now, for example parasites to eat wasps, the pre introduction studies can take years, to ensure they will do no other harm.

yesbut

Staff member
Nelson
Experience
Hobbyist
Or, they may just take some of the niche already occupied by our native hawks, and the introduced Australian hawk. Just, they would mainly eat wasps.
There is only one hawk, the native Australasian Harrier, or Kahu, and the Karearea, the Falcon. Plus the Morepork and introduced Little Owl.

Reactions: Bee Real

kaihoka

Gold
whanganui inlet
Experience
Hobbyist
What eats stoats .
Aussie scrub pythons eat possums and probably rats .
I wonder if there is an easy to control predator who would eat some of our unwelcome animals.
There was a plan to introduce mountain lions . They might have eaten stoats .

Reactions: Trevor Gillbanks
maungaturoto
Experience
Commercial
I think I would need a bigger gun than my .22
yes, but also it opens the eyes up to living with nature a lot more. those dear grazing your vege garden are wonderful compared to the mountain lion that just ate your pet.
its interesting seeing stuff posted by people overseas where thats normal life. there is dear wandering through the suburbs. mountain lion curled up on the porch. seen a few from farmers where they get stalked by coyotes. two mandatory things they take with them, firearms and medical kit.
mother nature has a habit of reminding us who really is the boss.

Reactions: kaihoka

tommy dave

Gold
BOP Club
mostly wellington, sometimes dunedin
Experience
Hobbyist
its interesting seeing stuff posted by people overseas where thats normal life. there is dear wandering through the suburbs. mountain lion curled up on the porch. seen a few from farmers where they get stalked by coyotes. two mandatory things they take with them, firearms and medical kit.
mother nature has a habit of reminding us who really is the boss.
i've had a couple of friends work on Svalbard, an island pretty far north in Norway. They have to take decent rifles when heading out for field-work, and still the polar bears get a feed occasionally

Reactions: kaihoka and tristan