NZBF: Honey prices

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Te Horo
Experience
Hobbyist
This might be the trap that gets people trying commercial bee keeping.
At $8 to $10 per 500g and say 20kg a hive I figure my hive is worth $800 income, not including wax, propolis etc.
Outlay $60 in apivar, sugar etc then it's a good return. So why not have 50 hives and start an income.
But then work hours, truck, travel, marketing, compliance, kick in and instead of bee to jar yourself you onsell to packers etc.
Then $4 per kg and you're stuffed.

At the bee keeping course we were told about 30kg per hive of honey or even 40 - 50kg. $300 for propolis matt. Pollen traps and wax to sell at $20 or more per kg . Turn it to candles and make even more.

I was wondering why everyone isnt doing it.

Now I know. Being here is a good education. Sincerely. My thanks to you all.
I have to agree with you, but I am really looking forward to learning, learning and learning. I agree, reading these posts is very educational.

Reactions: smokey the bear
Te Horo
Experience
Hobbyist
So talking about hipsters. Underground farms are becoming a thing. I wonder how bees would go in pink lights, underground :b
The only thing I grow underground are rocks, rocks and even more rocks, even the rabbits stop digging when they get to my golden underground farm. :censored:

• Sad
Reactions: kaihoka
UK
Experience
International
Would that apply to certified genuine honey from overseas like NZ?
Manuka honey sells for sensible prices in the UK. However the international price of honey is far too low - my guess is simply because so much of it is adulterated by sugar syrup and corn syrup which has dragged the price down. And it's not that easy to check honey quality/purity if there is 'some' honey in the jar or barrel. Sadly, the big supermarkets don't really care as they can offer something that's cheap to their customers so they play lip service to honey integrity.

:mad: And don't get me started on "Vegan Honey" :mad:.

Which is honey with no honey in it.

Alastair

Founder Member
Platinum
Auckland
Experience
Semi Commercial
Latest word from Canada is bulk clean white Canadian honey is getting CAD$3 a pound, that's around NZ$7 a kilo.

This in a country where beekeepers get about 3 x's as much honey per hive as we do.

canterbury
Experience
Commercial
Latest word from Canada is bulk clean white Canadian honey is getting CAD$3 a pound, that's around NZ$7 a kilo.

This in a country where beekeepers get about 3 x's as much honey per hive as we do.
I offered last season's Bees wax for sale yesterday ..... but could only trade for goods. Another bit of an indicator on the state of play, or do we need more competition in the wax industry ?
And having sent the final truckload of honey out the gate yesterday ..... I'm not even gonna contamplate $7/kg.

Alastair

Founder Member
Platinum
Auckland
Experience
Semi Commercial
Good for you. I'm gradually flicking mine off in small amounts at $5 a kg + GST, it's hard work but does seem to be obtainable if you don't let it go for less.

My business is pretty minimalist and I can make money at that price.