Hope video comment please

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Mid Canterbury
Experience
Semi Commercial
Quite frankly this gave me gut rot. Sounds like some Jamacian Rasta. There are 25,000 people wanting to get back to NZ. Where are we going to put them all? In Leeston township pre quake 2010 we had a pop of 500, we are i think I read 2300. We are expected to take another several thousand. We are being invaded by those who quite sensibly can only buy an ownership flat in ChCh, so come out here for a house. if you put your house on the market in the Leeston township currently, you only get north islanders looking, who want to come to the mainland buying within minutes of a property going on the marker. Rolleston, 20 minutes north, there is application by developers to take another 29,000 people but the Selwyn District Council is against this, as is Environment Canterbury, NZTA, and Christchurch airport (because the developments are over their flight paths). Our roads, bridges, sewarage systems cannot cope. Lincoln - 20 minutes away, another several thousand people - 800 sq m sections are selling for $500,000. We cannot take all these people wanting to re enter NZ. We have six MIQ in ChCh. Places like Rotorua refuse to have more MIQ - their police and health services cannot cope.

Mummzie

Staff member
Tasman
Experience
Hobbyist
So easy to criticise the government. Thank goodness it doesn't cost us our lives to do so.

Has anyone come up with workable alternate suggestions ?

Here's a view on Auzzie. Just not set to music.

Mid Canterbury
Experience
Semi Commercial
I am not criticising the govt for their efforts. I think they have done an amazing job. Quite simply, we don't have the housing, roading, sewerage, job opportunities etc for 25,000 extras at short notice. We don't have enough housing for our current population, let alone another 25,000. How many are coming back to just go onto a benefit? Yes, we have labour shortages (professional, trades, unskilled), and I think these must take priority. There are some areas of NZ that are just in overload with all these issues and our communities are changing in a manner that is worrying.

Alastair

Founder Member
Platinum
Auckland
Experience
Semi Commercial
And it was letting one of them come back from Australia where they went for a holiday, that has brought us the problems we got now.

If the govt. was a bit tougher we'd have been sweet.

Reactions: smokey the bear

Bron

Staff member
Gisborne
Experience
Commercial
I’m grateful. People were told to come home. Many did. Some couldn’t because they’d made their lives in other countries, some for decades. Now because Covid has changed their lives, and livelihoods they wanna come back.

Some left to go on holiday, they were warned they could get out, but maybe not come back. Some of them still chose to go. Tough!

Theres some stuff that I’m not happy about, but the Covid response is not one of them.

I wouldn’t have her job or the stuff she’s had to deal with since taking it on.

Shootings, natural disasters, world wide pandemic - nah no thanks.

Alastair

Founder Member
Platinum
Auckland
Experience
Semi Commercial
Some left to go on holiday, they were warned they could get out, but maybe not come back. Some of them still chose to go. Tough!

Yes, I have a daughter in Melbourne plus grandchildren I have not seen for a very long time. The bubble was opened and I was so tempted to go buy a ticket, but common sense told me there was a very real chance things could blow up at any time and I'd be stuck. So I resisted and a good thing I did.

The people who decided to just flip off over there anyway for a few days in the sun, then whinge like heck when the inevitable happened and they got caught, were victims of their own stupidity in my view.

• Agree
Reactions: Trevor Gillbanks