This is how I apply them whenever I put treatments in. Treating twice per season seems to be working for me so at the moment they go on in early spring and late summer.Is that at this time of year Otto?
The ones I'm putting in now will mostly get chewed out before winter. I'm earlier with my autumn round than I have been in the previous couple of years (slightly more organized). I may consider putting a couple of fresh ones in in April and leaving those for the winter. As brood nests are small that time of year it would only be a couple per hive at most. That will mostly come down to whether I am nervous about re-invasion at all.Good to know Otto.
How long do you leave them in in winter, and do you have any winter dwindling that could be OA related?
I only use staples and the are all narrows, or half width. I also use them year round, usually four rounds - early spring, early summer, straight after extraction and the winter ones go in late april. No synthetics for three seasons.
It is a misconception that OA/Glycerine strips would make hives more damp. Yes, glycerine is very hygroscopic, it is in some applications even used to extract water from air, but it does not make the air more humid, on the contrary: it dries the air out because water is being removed (for a short while, at least, until the glycerine is saturated).Winter staples.
Previous winters I have seen wetness and dripping staples, which I presume isn’t great for the bees. Of course, neither is varroa…. However, I have been shifting to vented base boards, and combined with narrow staples last winter I saw a lot less dampness.
3. Both the above points lead to the staples having less solution in them when winter really hits. I think there is less GL in them to attract water.
Just under a month ago I put some cardboard oxalic staples into a hive I'm monitoring at home. It had around 25 mites per 400 bees in an alcohol wash. (I know 400 is not the normal number but that is what I'm using because that is what the container I chose holds). Today I replaced the strips even though they weren't particularly chewed up with eight new strips and did another alcohol wash. This time it was 125+.
I had high hopes for oxalic\glycerin strips but this has certainly dented my enthusiasm. I will check them again in a couple of weeks.
Surprisingly the hive still looks pretty healthy with just the odd bit of deformed wing showing up.