NZBF: How to store frames?

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Manawatu
Experience
Hobbyist
Got a heap of frames left after getting the honey off & wondering how people store theirs?
I've put them all in our chest freezer until next year when they'll go back on in the supers. Ok for now, but with a freezer beast turning up soon I'm going to have to move them. How do you all store yours without attracting bees or ants, etc?

Mummzie

Staff member
Tasman
Experience
Hobbyist
How many are you talking about?
Are they still wets or have they been cleaned up?

I put my extracted frames back on the hive they came from, for the girls to reclaim as much as possible. Then they are stored in a garden shed, in beeboxes, with newspaper between each box. I regularly check them for ant incursions, wax moth etc.

Brood frames are kept in plastic boxes (available The Warehouse). Again, checked, aired regularly - which means when I think of it.

But I'm not storing hundreds of boxes.

Reactions: Kathryn
Manawatu
Experience
Hobbyist
Only a couple of boxes worth. They've still got a reasonable residue on them—which is why I put them in the freezer—never thought to put them back on for a bit for the bees to clean. Thank you!

Christchurch
Experience
Hobbyist
Honey frames are meant to be safe from moth.

I get my wets cleaned. Old brood frames put aside for a melt session.

Boxes of frames then stored in a cold shed,
And tape them together (keeps the vermin out) and tape a cover on each end.

But I’m storing 4-6 boxes only.

France
Experience
International
Got a heap of frames left after getting the honey off & wondering how people store theirs?
I've put them all in our chest freezer until next year when they'll go back on in the supers. Ok for now, but with a freezer beast turning up soon I'm going to have to move them. How do you all store yours without attracting bees or ants, etc?

There are a few different ways you can store frames to keep them safe and protected until they are needed again:

• Store the frames in a cool, dry place: If you have a cool, dry place to store the frames, such as a basement or a shed, this can be a good option. Make sure the frames are protected from pests and moisture, and consider wrapping them in a plastic bag or covering them with a sheet of plastic to help keep them clean and dry.
  • Store the frames in a freezer: Freezing the frames can help to kill any pests or diseases that may be present, and can also help to preserve the frames until they are needed again. Just be sure to wrap the frames in a plastic bag or wrap before placing them in the freezer to prevent any moisture from getting in.
  • Store the frames in a hive body: If you have an extra hive body or a nuc box, you can store the frames in one of these containers. This can help to protect the frames from pests and moisture, and can also help to keep them clean and dry. Just be sure to cover the hive body or nuc box with a sheet of plastic or a bee-proof cover to keep bees and other pests out.
Overall, the best way to store frames will depend on your specific needs and the resources you have available. Just be sure to protect the frames from pests, moisture, and other potential hazards, and they should be ready to use again when you are ready to start beekeeping in the spring.