Influx of Passion vine hoppers in Christchurch

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Grant

Staff member
Founder Member
Platinum
I was reading about the influx of passion vine hoppers around Christchurch and wondered what the impact would be for tutin testing in the area

Grant

Staff member
Founder Member
Platinum
My point exactly. The testing requirement doesn’t exist for the majority of the South Island because the hoppers are not normally this far south. With climate impacts becoming increasingly common do the standards need updating? Plant wise with the number of native bush regeneration projects throughout Banks Peninsula it could create an issue no one is expecting

Grant

Staff member
Founder Member
Platinum
Reported tutu locations gathered by volunteers so I’m sure it’s more widespread than this

F57A76DC-4737-4C4C-B1E4-3A477733B1A5.jpeg

Reactions: CHCHPaul
Bay of Plenty
Experience
Commercial
Unless there are tutu plants in the area, it shouldn't be a problem. ChCh is below 42 degrees latitude south.

Don't take the "we below 42 degrees, so we ok" too seriously; if vine hopper is setting up camp, then you need to test just like everywhere else. Just up to you our much or when you think you should test.
That document is a guide, not a set of rules, and it's several years old, and nature, ###### it, changes.

• Agree
Reactions: Grant
Mid Canterbury
Experience
Semi Commercial
Don't take the "we below 42 degrees, so we ok" too seriously;
I am not saying we are ok and that I am not taking it seriously. I said unless there are tutu trees in the area it should not be a problem. I am also not saying there are no tutu trees in Canterbury, but I can't say I have ever seen one in Canterbury, but I guess some people have.

Although last week I did see some passion vine hoppers for the first time ever, but the honey flow in Ellesmere is well and truly finished.