Internal feeders

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Christchurch
Experience
Semi Commercial
I use top feeders as a rule, however, I have a plan to over-winter nucs as top splits using double screen boards. So, I can no longer use top feeders for the parent colony...

So... What size internal feeder is best for double FD brood boxes. AND, would you put it in the top or bottom box... And why?

thanks!

Reactions: Grant

Dave Black

Gold
BOP Club
Bay of Plenty
Experience
Retired
I would not put a feeder in the bottom, I'd make sure they go into winter in good condition, and I don't think syrup feed is much good late.
I would have one in the nuc though, they are much more likely to have to exist 'on the edge' and a feeder might bail them out, even if I have to fill it with raw sugar or fondant.

Christchurch
Experience
Semi Commercial
Thanks @Dave Black. But I didn’t ask about feeding them in winter (late). I plan on making splits with cells that I have down now. I have just taken honey off and the parent hives will require feeding now. Once the top splits are made the parents won’t have access to the top feeder... and it will still be February.

Dave Black

Gold
BOP Club
Bay of Plenty
Experience
Retired
I made the wrong assumption when you said you would over-winter the nucs, sorry.
Surely you can only use a frame feeder in the top box of double brood? That way you just lift the nuc at the split board. The size depends on how many visits you make?

kaihoka

Gold
whanganui inlet
Experience
Hobbyist
That’s certainly the easy feed logical conclusion, but the cluster will shift up during the winter and if I have a three frame feeder upstairs it will restrict the cluster (maybe)..
i had a small nuc that i overwintered and i put a frame feeder in .
it was in a dry spot but there was still alot of condensation because there was not enough bees to keep it dry internally.
because i had moved it to a remote spot with no other bees i could take the feeder out and put a jar on its side with syrup outside the hive..