NZBF: Is it possible to get 3 full depth boxes of honey

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Nelson
Experience
Hobbyist
Is it possible to get 3 full depth boxes of honey off a two brood box hive I was wondering after oct get two boxes of honey and get a third out of the brood box and put the exclude down above the brood nest to get a third box of honey cause it will be full of bees I found when I used to have 55 hives if you run a double hive they put honey in 2nd box very easy

I took 5 frames of bees to a honey field in a full depth box as I split them same year I did honey and that tiny hive made 55kg so I was wondering if you had 50 two storie hives could it make 2 box of honey and one out of the 2nd brood box in autumn

yesbut

Staff member
Nelson
Experience
Hobbyist
I took 5 frames of bees to a honey field in a full depth box as I split them same year I did honey and that tiny hive made 55kg so I was wondering if you had 50 two storie hives could it make 2 box of honey and one out of the 2nd brood box in autumn
Might have to watch tutin level with a late Nelson area harvest.

Dansar

Founder Member
BOP Club
Putaruru
Experience
Commercial
Is it possible to get 3 full depth boxes of honey off a two brood box hive I was wondering after oct get two boxes of honey and get a third out of the brood box and put the exclude down above the brood nest to get a third box of honey cause it will be full of bees I found when I used to have 55 hives if you run a double hive they put honey in 2nd box very easy

Certainly is possible. Before the “Manuka gold rush“ and “save the bees” I budgeted on needing at least 5 Full depth boxes per colony.
Now that there are more “save (and unfortunately hives that die) the bees” beekeepers in town I have seen a steady drop in honey volume. Not issue as there is only so much one can eat or ferment and distill🤣

Reactions: southbee