Manual Hand Crank Honey Extractor Gear Lubrication ..

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Wellington
Experience
Hobbyist
We have a little 2 frame extractor that's squeaking .. The gears are enclosed [remove plate to view gears] - what do people [with little manual extractors] use to lubricate the gears ?

Mummzie

Staff member
Tasman
Experience
Hobbyist
Mine is a 3 frame hand cranked. The gears are on the top, so caution would have to be taken to ensure it couldn't drip into the extraction area.
Is yours similar?
I haven't has that problem -yet.
My first thought would be a sewing machine oil in very small quantities and carefully cleaned.
Hopefully if I am very wrong, someone will jump in and advise the correct product to be used

Wellington
Experience
Hobbyist
Mine is a 3 frame hand cranked. The gears are on the top, so caution would have to be taken to ensure it couldn't drip into the extraction area.
Is yours similar?
I haven't has that problem -yet.
My first thought would be a sewing machine oil in very small quantities and carefully cleaned.
Hopefully if I am very wrong, someone will jump in and advise the correct product to be used
Yes - Gears on top albeit enclosed .. when I opened it [unscrewed the "lid"] there was a ball of "grease" in one area that I attempted to re-coat the cogs with .. reduced but did not stop the noise .. parts of the cogs were also rather shinny perhaps indicating use without lubricant ..]

Grant

Staff member
Founder Member
Platinum
You could try some spray grease. It will not drop but may get into the parts the ball wont. However it sounds like its the existing wear causing the squeak so that may not resolve without replacing parts.

maungaturoto
Experience
Commercial

thats probably the more suitable. i think thats the standard grease gun size.

Wellington
Experience
Hobbyist

thats probably the more suitable. i think thats the standard grease gun size.
Thank you.