Meade Recipes

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Whangarei, Onerahi
Experience
Hobbyist
We are whangarei based with our property and neighbouring 12 acres being native bush and town being on the back fence our bees produce lots of really well balanced and tasty honey. We use and give away lots of honey but produce much more than we can use, might have a go at making mead to use a bit more, any tips, suggestions, yeast recommendations?

Last edited by a moderator:

Grant

Staff member
Founder Member
Platinum
We use and give away lots of honey but produce much more than we can use, might have a go at making mead to use a bit more, any tips, suggestions, yeast recommendations?
Is this the real question from the post?

• Confused
Reactions: CHCHPaul

AAA

Waihi
Experience
Commercial
I used a viking mead recipe from internet but instead of yeast I used elderberry flowers, blueberry raisins (left on bushes after harvest) and lemon verbena twigs.

canterbury
Experience
Commercial
Interesting.
Without giving away too many secrets ..... I delivered ten tonne of honey to a company the other day. Sale is subject to sample and price and I am more than happy to bring it home if the price is ho hum ..... BUT ..... the guy in charge of unloading offered to show me around while the peasant sat on the forklift and sorted the drums.
My guide took me to a room full of sophisticated scientific equipment. At the back of the room was a large brew pot with a brew on. He then then opened a cupboard and brought out half a dozen bottles of brew and started to ply me with shot glasses that were actually glass lab containers.
The first brew was a Kamahi mead. It was sweet and syrupy with an initial rush of Kamahi aroma.
My guide was obviously a seasoned sampler and rolled his eyes and blew out his cheeks as he downed the samples and moved on.
By the time we got to about the seventh shot I was beginning to wonder how it would impair my ability to operate the road ranger gear change on the way home.
The most memorable brew was the Thyme mead . It had a n aroma that in a instant peeled back the years to a distant memory of extracting Thyme honey at Hawea flats. It was delicious .

And on the journey home as the 500 horses whinnied and the shift splitter eased us through the hills, I thought of the brew I had on at home, and the honey I had given to mate in the Wild West, and how we had agreed to meet in twelve weeks and compare the qualities of our waters ..... perhaps a mid winter Matariki celebration, seeing as it too late for pumpkins.

Marlborough
Experience
Semi Commercial
Interesting.
Without giving away too many secrets ..... I delivered ten tonne of honey to a company the other day. Sale is subject to sample and price and I am more than happy to bring it home if the price is ho hum ..... BUT ..... the guy in charge of unloading offered to show me around while the peasant sat on the forklift and sorted the drums.
My guide took me to a room full of sophisticated scientific equipment. At the back of the room was a large brew pot with a brew on. He then then opened a cupboard and brought out half a dozen bottles of brew and started to ply me with shot glasses that were actually glass lab containers.
The first brew was a Kamahi mead. It was sweet and syrupy with an initial rush of Kamahi aroma.
My guide was obviously a seasoned sampler and rolled his eyes and blew out his cheeks as he downed the samples and moved on.
By the time we got to about the seventh shot I was beginning to wonder how it would impair my ability to operate the road ranger gear change on the way home.
The most memorable brew was the Thyme mead . It had a n aroma that in a instant peeled back the years to a distant memory of extracting Thyme honey at Hawea flats. It was delicious .

And on the journey home as the 500 horses whinnied and the shift splitter eased us through the hills, I thought of the brew I had on at home, and the honey I had given to mate in the Wild West, and how we had agreed to meet in twelve weeks and compare the qualities of our waters ..... perhaps a mid winter Matariki celebration, seeing as it too late for pumpkins.
I know there used to be a family owed meadery in Rangiora, not sure if they are still going or not, maybe worth checking out