Metsulfuron

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
great barrier island
Experience
Semi Commercial
Hi. Does anyone know about this herbicide ? DOC and auck council are poisoning hectares of pine trees next to our bee land with it. We’ve talked to the contractors, called council and MPI and they can’t give us any info regarding bee safety.

great barrier island
Experience
Semi Commercial
It's not the chemical you need to worry about, often the surfectant additive is the problem. What surfectant are they using ?
We asked the contractor and they had no idea, ask council. Council and doc said ask the contractor. I was told they are supposed to be drilling the trees so hopefully no surfactant.

Grant

Staff member
Founder Member
Platinum
Metsulfuron-methyl has a low toxicity to birds, aquatic organisms (including fish), bees, and earthworms

Attachments

• Information Sheet - Metsulfuron-methyl_Feb2014.pdf
    50 KB · Views: 1
  • Thanks
Reactions: nikki watts
Christchurch
Experience
Hobbyist
They used that to remove wilding pines in the Marlborough Sounds. Brilliant stuff. The drilling application is genius. The pine does, but doesn’t fall initially, so no trigger for seedlings to sprout. That gives natives a chance to grow first and breaks the cycle.

maungaturoto
Experience
Commercial
if i remember correctly the stuff is really slow to kill plants when sprayed. the drilling usually uses a high concentration of it. i think i still have some from when we did some pines.