More cheats get their comeuppance !

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Grant

Staff member
Founder Member
Platinum
It wasn't as if it was in any way accidental according to my interpretation of the news article.

Hawkes Bay
Experience
Commercial
So MPI is going to prosecute four people for trying to sell less than 10 kg of honey to the Vietnamese.
I would have liked to see some explanations for why New Zealand honey can't be exported to Vietnam.
Is it a problem on the Vietnamese end or have MPI just not got around to doing their job.
When a local beekeeper was reported to MPI for selling hundreds of kilos of honey locally which didn't meet their legal requirements they didn't even deign to reply. Probably too busy planning how to stop the evil practice of me posting a few kilos of honey to my overseas son.
I hate to say it but I am starting to see MPI in the same light as my uncle Russell sees them.

Dunedin
Experience
Semi Commercial
Seems crazily heavy-handed, unless the Vietnamese govt is putting pressure on somehow. As you say John, less than 10kg of honey! Surely there are bigger fish out there...

• Agree
Reactions: JohnF

Bron

Staff member
Gisborne
Experience
Commercial
Maybe Vietnam is like us. No bee products (except of course propolis - still not sure how that works) imported?

Hawkes Bay
Experience
Commercial
If I am reading the article correctly then Vietnam allows the importation of honey but New Zealand has no protocols for exporting honey to that country so New Zealand beekeepers aren't allowed to.
Perhaps someone from MPI could be good enough to explain why there are no export protocols to Vietnam.
As for the less than 10 kg of honey I would take that with a pinch of salt as almost every article I read on beekeeping has a zero added or subtracted making nonsense of whats being said.I would guess that where they have kilogram they actually mean tons but I may be wrong and they maybe using tens of thousands of taxpayers dollars over a few kilograms of honey.
MPI. Make possible impossible.

Reactions: frazzledfozzle