NZBF: Mould in hive frame

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Marlborough
Experience
Beginner
Hi, the bees in my double box full depth hive seem to have mostly moved up into the top box, I’m guessing it’s probably for the warmth. There is very little brood in the bottom box (2 frames but not much on wither of them). Last inspection I noticed a frame on the outer side had some mould. Should I try to condense the hive down by moving the bees and brood frames from the bottom into the top box and removing the bottom one - or should I not worry and leave them to clean it up in the spring? I’m worried about them getting cold in the top with a big cold space under them.

Tawa, Wellington
Experience
Hobbyist
Hi, the bees in my double box full depth hive seem to have mostly moved up into the top box, I’m guessing it’s probably for the warmth. There is very little brood in the bottom box (2 frames but not much on wither of them). Last inspection I noticed a frame on the outer side had some mould. Should I try to condense the hive down by moving the bees and brood frames from the bottom into the top box and removing the bottom one - or should I not worry and leave them to clean it up in the spring? I’m worried about them getting cold in the top with a big cold space under
If theres not much at all in the bottom box,then I would just remove it, make sure they have enough feed in the top box, then let them clean up the bottom box in the spring