MyFarm raises $6.25m for Manuka plantation

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Hawkes Bay
Experience
Commercial
Peak manuka has been reached and while I don't think it will become worthless like in the old days we have seen the end of endless price rises and consumption is going down. Exports have been kept up by chasing new markets but there can't be many untapped markets left and a lot of the old ones are completely flooded with product.
By all means plant manuka for conservation purposes but I wouldn't invest money in manuka plantations or manuka corporate's as both seem to be surefire ways of losing money. Do moneylenders not due diligence these days.

Sailabee

BOP Club
North Auckland
Experience
Hobbyist
Unfortunately, thinking that it is possible to plant a plantation of manuka is a symptom of accountant thinking. Truth is that once the manuka is established, unless you spray out all the undergrowth regularly, it will revert to forest - mainly natives, as birds come and sit in it and drop seeds.

• Good Info
  • Agree
Reactions: kaihoka and Grant

kaihoka

Gold
whanganui inlet
Experience
Hobbyist
Unfortunately, thinking that it is possible to plant a plantation of manuka is a symptom of accountant thinking. Truth is that once the manuka is established, unless you spray out all the undergrowth regularly, it will revert to forest - mainly natives, as birds come and sit in it and drop seeds.
In the 40 odd yrs I have been here I have seen things go from gorse to manuka to bush .
Kanuka gets pretty big and takes a while to drown out .
I some places only manuka ever grows.
If they choose really infertile sites that have been burnt and abused for yrs there may be no seed bank in the soil

• Agree
Reactions: bighands