New Zealand's great honey glut

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Mānuka honey producers have been reaping the profits of selling pots of gold in recent years, but now there’s a surplus of non-mānuka varieties as beekeepers stockpile, hoping prices will recover. The NZ Herald’s Jane Phare looks at why the country is oozing with honey.

NickWallingford

BOP Club
Tauranga
Experience
Retired
I've gotta say, this quote had me doing some multiplication. Turns out it should have referenced 3,000 hives...
In the past decade commercial honey “mega enterprises” (30,000 or more hives) have increased to nearly 50 in line with the demand for mānuka honey.

frazzledfozzle

Founder Member
Nelson/Tasman District
Experience
Commercial
You mean before we tested the honey to make sure we weren't selling clover and kanuka as manuka?

don’t get me started, the MPI standard is far from perfect with more blending of honey now than there was before in our neck of the woods.

So tell me @Dennis Crowley if the MPI standard has supposedly stopped a heap of dodgy blending that would indicate to me there should be less “genuine” manuka honey for sale so prices should have improved instead of collapsing ?

If we could sell our honey for upwards of $20kg before the standard how can that same honey ( mono manuka under MPI standard ) be worth so much less if You can even get someone to look at it ?

Reactions: Maru Hoani
canterbury
Experience
Commercial
don’t get me started, the MPI standard is far from perfect with more blending of honey now than there was before in our neck of the woods.

So tell me @Dennis Crowley if the MPI standard has supposedly stopped a heap of dodgy blending that would indicate to me there should be less “genuine” manuka honey for sale so prices should have improved instead of collapsing ?

If we could sell our honey for upwards of $20kg before the standard how can that same honey ( mono manuka under MPI standard ) be worth so much less if You can even get someone to look at it ?
Perhaps it's something to do with consumer resistance to a high priced product . We hear it all the time in our honey shop .....honey is so expensive , we don't buy it any more .....

Don't get me started.

If honey was so expensive , why is then that half of my bee keepers are on a community services card.... and have to wait a week with a raging tooth ache before they can see the dentist, beacuse this week the power bill is due and there aint enough in the kitty to swing the unforseen.
I got so peed off when I heard that I squeezed a hundy out of Mama for our little TAB holiday fund, and told him to put it on a horse called 'The Dentist' !

And there is the issue. The producer needs better than $4.50/kg to make better wages happen ..... and lift us all out of the poverty line.

maungaturoto
Experience
Commercial
i saw the paper work for one batch of honey to be retailed and it had something like 40 different beeks honey in it.
a lot of science and skill to mix honey and turn it into a more profitable honey. this is where they make the money.

kaihoka

Gold
whanganui inlet
Experience
Hobbyist
i saw the paper work for one batch of honey to be retailed and it had something like 40 different beeks honey in it.
a lot of science and skill to mix honey and turn it into a more profitable honey. this is where they make the money.
Was this a manuka blend .?
Or was it a multifloral that had been blended to make a nice honey .
Some honeys are so dominant very little would flavour the whole batch.
Does someone taste , then buy the honeys .
Are they experienced enough to be able to guess what the blend would be like .?

maungaturoto
Experience
Commercial
Was this a manuka blend .?
Or was it a multifloral that had been blended to make a nice honey .
Some honeys are so dominant very little would flavour the whole batch.
Does someone taste , then buy the honeys .
Are they experienced enough to be able to guess what the blend would be like .?
i can't recall. i would guess its manuka blend.
tho really the point being the sheer amount of different beeks honey in it. someone went to a LOT of effort to mix all that.

• Thanks
Reactions: kaihoka
Tauranga
Experience
Marketer
don’t get me started, the MPI standard is far from perfect

Firstly, agree about the MPI standard.
We know UMF/MGO only comes from Manuka
The highest UMF/MGO comes from unadulterated Manuka
But the highest UMF/MFO (i.e. Northland's) doesn't qualify as Mono Manuka???

But mainly I'm responding to the comment that due to MPI's definition, consumers should pay more for genuine Manuka now than before.
I've heard this since the standard was first discussed.
The reality is that consumers think now and thought before that they were getting real Manuka honey.
They were paying top dollar before the standard for Manuka, and they still are.
Top Manuka was scarce then and is scarce now.
The only real difference from having the Manuka definition is the price in non-Mono honeys has plummeted.