No time to paint hives

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Mid Canterbury
Experience
Semi Commercial
Here's someone about to create their very own apiary. Have checked their FB and they are seeking a job as a commercial beekeeper, and it looks like they are a full time Otago Poly student L3.

No time to paint hives? Where will they find time to look after bees? Looks like this person will be setting up their hives in the Selwyn District Council area. There are thousands of hives within the SDC; commercial and hobbyist.

I'm not v good with technology. I hope you can read the attachment.

Attachments

• SDC1.png
    SDC1.png
    180.2 KB · Views: 35

Mummzie

Staff member
Tasman
Experience
Hobbyist
If a commercial or competent beekeeper were to approach them and spend some time explaining the time and resource needs to be a beekeeper- that would be a good investment by them, especially if it happened before they got bees.

Carrot rather than stick.

Reactions: Grant

Grant

Staff member
Founder Member
Platinum
I agree, this is where mentorship and reflective practice come into things. Ok so its a public post in a community gossip group on FB, but would definitely be worth a gently and positive approach. Beekeepers are too quick to put people down and wonder why they don't listen.

• Agree
Reactions: Alastair

Alastair

Founder Member
Platinum
Auckland
Experience
Semi Commercial
Beekeepers are too quick to put people down and wonder why they don't listen.

Agree totally.

I'm told 80% of new beekeepers are failed and out of the hobby in the first 2 years. But they got to go through their own learning curve and I will admit to having written some people off in my mind, who went on to keep bees long term and not do too bad of a job of it. I don't like it when I see nubies getting a hard time. Same as bashing people with top bars etc, nothing wrong with that long as they are properly looked after.

Sounds to me like she doesn't just want the boxes painted, but is hoping for some nice artwork, nothing wrong with seeking someone with skills in that area to do the job.

maungaturoto
Experience
Commercial
I'm told 80% of new beekeepers are failed and out of the hobby in the first 2 years.
but keep in mind there is no reason that those 80% could not be successful in those first few years.
beekeeping is not that difficult. if i can do it, they can to.
the biggest problem is that their idea of beekeeping is very very different from the reality.

• Agree
Reactions: Grant and Alastair