over winter

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

southbee

Gold
Southland
Experience
Commercial
The rest were already wintered, will compare it to another small site in spring and give you our thoughts to it. If things don't turn out well and the hives are obviously in a poorer shape then the other site, we'll honour our commitment too and will send you not only the home brew, but also a jar of the best honey in the south...:)

• Haha
Reactions: Alastair
Christchurch
Experience
Hobbyist
My issue is Canterbury seems to be alternating winter & spring (T & shorts all weekend). I’m glad I left a lot of food onboard, but I do worry about varroa and might have to do an early spring treatment... or make up some OA.

southbee

Gold
Southland
Experience
Commercial
The rest were already wintered, will compare it to another small site in spring and give you our thoughts to it. If things don't turn out well and the hives are obviously in a poorer shape then the other site, we'll honour our commitment too and will send you not only the home brew, but also a jar of the best honey in the south...:)
Hi @Alastair , found the old post, we had a look at them hives a while ago. To sum it up, they're all alive, but looking at our comparison site they're not as good as them. The bees are mostly in the top box, doing their thing, but I can't see any benefit from having had the honey in the bottom box. So .....let me know your address and we'll send you some goodies :). Was going to take a picture, but they had a very grumpy day and neither of us was prepared to take a glove off....:ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: Grant

Grant

Staff member
Founder Member
Platinum
Was going to take a picture, but they had a very grumpy day and neither of us was prepared to take a glove off
You guys really need to learn how to get your camera to respond to voice. If I shout cheese my phone takes a photo :D

• Haha
Reactions: southbee

Alastair

Founder Member
Platinum
Auckland
Experience
Semi Commercial
I find it freaky when my devices are listening to everything I say. Not to mention every so often doing something they thought I wanted, but I didn't :oops:. I'll stay with the ancient method of pushing buttons thanks :)

@southbee thanks for the honest report it so annoys me when guys don't quite do that if it doesn't line up with something they previously said.
This little test may or may not prove anything, could have just been a slightly weaker site anyway.
I'll not put you through the drama of sending me a jar although I am sure I would have enjoyed it. I'll pick something up from the shop and celebrate with that instead, cheers 🍹:).

Once the weather warms up and the bees get active you may find they get busy moving the stores upwards and that will have a stimulatory effect and they end up as good or better than the other sites. An old trick a guy I worked for used to do way back. Some people do it on cell raisers also.

southbee

Gold
Southland
Experience
Commercial
I find it freaky when my devices are listening to everything I say. Not to mention every so often doing something they thought I wanted, but I didn't :oops:. I'll stay with the ancient method of pushing buttons thanks :)

@southbee thanks for the honest report it so annoys me when guys don't quite do that if it doesn't line up with something they previously said.
This little test may or may not prove anything, could have just been a slightly weaker site anyway.
I'll not put you through the drama of sending me a jar although I am sure I would have enjoyed it. I'll pick something up from the shop and celebrate with that instead, cheers 🍹:).

Once the weather warms up and the bees get active you may find they get busy moving the stores upwards and that will have a stimulatory effect and they end up as good or better than the other sites. An old trick a guy I worked for used to do way back. Some people do it on cell raisers also.
You're right, it doesn't proof anything and was just a bit of a fun thing to do. No drama to send you some honey, we post it all the time, Grant will know how to pass on your address without being public? I can send you a bottle of home-brew as well, would pack it well, but no guarantees there as it is bubbly and it might get excited on the long way up north to you! I'll keep you posted if I see any significant change in them.