Painting Wax Dipped boxes

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Ruakaka
Experience
Semi Commercial
So I've just purchased a bunch of new wax dipped boxes for the first time - before now I've always gone plain boxes and preserved them with Metalex. For those that use wax dipped boxes, should I be painting them, or leaving them unpainted? I appreciate most guys that wax dip paint them also, but isn't it best to do it while the wax is still warm? When stone cold, how should I paint? Will waterbased paint stick to it, or do I need to go oil based? TIA

North Canterbury
Experience
Commercial
Paint sticks best to the boxes straight out of the dipper .. I dip 6 at a time, stack them on pallet, while the next 6 are in I’m 1st coating the hot ones. The pores are open and suck the cold paint right in. Generally I apply the 2nd and 3 rd coats back inside the shed and only apply that first sticker coat on while they’re hot. Works for me.

tommy dave

Gold
BOP Club
mostly wellington, sometimes dunedin
Experience
Hobbyist
you'll be fine not painting wax dipped boxes. However, painting them will make them last even longer. Think of the paint as a first line of defence, with the wax dipping as a second. And you can reinforce that first line of defence every 5-10 years with a new/quick coat of paint. First coat of paint while still hot might be better, but while cold is still better than no paint

edit: i'd go with water-based. I've had some not so great experiences with weird rot/moisture stuff with oil based. Tiny sample size though, and they weren't wax dipped - or even my boxes. They're hives i manage on a volunteer basis. Very pretty.

Reactions: Jonny
canterbury
Experience
Commercial
We paint all our boxes with ITM's budget waterbased paint with some tint ..... hot out of the wax bath ..... does'nt peel, last's until we throw them into the burning bin,which might be quite shortly, judging by the AFB rob out notifications coming in from Hivehub tonight.

Reactions: Jonny and Josh