Plant identification

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Wyndham
Experience
Hobbyist
Hi all
I am trying to identify this plant. I am thinking it is Vipers Bugloss. Can anyone confirm?
vt4m9Q5j8MTNhV7DBonNGry1UWYfF5k9TkuqLUCSJQEMQtQH1WZ8H6VPX9j7XUKH5uTmix5gotki-9Xs0-gnV9Zv2sJcwTexSVhqgAf_Vqa38g72JwwptOrvf4bqeayd4g4UkdpFyjbsFfOeGizNQ0TxOy5sErb69whRVrFt6EbcRE_RKP7agImsfkpiuMOG72ir6-mQ0soD-7wi2aPQVj72NGLI6Oq2Cr7AHclCsMPS7q9zk7m-2qECKxoOzeMTzFgrGl7K1QOBd2wcHdPxAasDOz6VttGzGDGdZEEXVpginpF2x9u1lL9ji-6wZo4gz9tLXv9bozvD-CUL1-7_3IseLDUiJ0P0FuapSXHruYgg7xaLKNq6jqDaxi4xULvgpTjssxKxiNmhwFrbcWPPqge-MRtWM5Zu1j0_3f_LDWduXK228qGAGvijJB24j1amyrzRa-eYxkD74BQkm29e2Sj4BvbhdXu1OaWBBE40AejEc6Q4Y8iR47-5UFF9OQMNq-u3qZFDc81vp6ko0xgCz6JRCxgG_dfYrR8AywneguXoeJTuqbEg3jOf8DMdcQxNLIrbUF0lKwg2jR4GrfC4OgI_xQnfk6QMv1hF5xErPwHfLUZALG65sarOhcZ06citxVBfp8Tp1_DP7WE4bVeNdnnVuChx8tMRTgHaS1v9N67z65gHtw3Tc_tXU2ncogvvZgaGBRUhHUjhfBSYA65c7HA=w650-h866-no

Wyndham
Experience
Hobbyist
Agree....Viper's Bugloss
I have a block of land in Central Otago. 8.5ha. Covered in the stuff. Some really thick patches. I don't mind it as there is certainly plenty for the bees. The neighbours blocks are covered in it too. There was a blue haze last summer and kept the bees happy. Though the honey is a bit startling, flavourwise, when fresh. I want to irrigate a ha or two of the block so I can run a few sheep eventually. Would prefer a bit less of this and more subterranean clover. So I want to control it. Don't mind spot spraying the big ones with as inoffensive herbicide as I can find before it starts flowering.
I know its going to take me years to get it under control but it is going to be a while before we get to live there permanently so no rush.

yesbut

Staff member
Nelson
Experience
Hobbyist
We'll see about the no rush bit once you've had a good dose of the stuff in your autumn socks...gaiter's required.

Christchurch
Experience
Hobbyist
I have a block of land in Central Otago. 8.5ha. Covered in the stuff. Some really thick patches. I don't mind it as there is certainly plenty for the bees. The neighbours blocks are covered in it too. There was a blue haze last summer and kept the bees happy. Though the honey is a bit startling, flavourwise, when fresh. I want to irrigate a ha or two of the block so I can run a few sheep eventually. Would prefer a bit less of this and more subterranean clover. So I want to control it. Don't mind spot spraying the big ones with as inoffensive herbicide as I can find before it starts flowering.
I know its going to take me years to get it under control but it is going to be a while before we get to live there permanently so no rush.
Any realistic stock option that would enjoy the borage? Goats maybe, still tasty