Plastic vs wood frames

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Christchurch
Experience
Beginner
Hi all.

I've tried plastic frames for the first time in a hive. I'm finding the bees glue them to the top cover and between boxes more than they seem to with wood frames.

The out come is taking the cover off or moving a box is much harder. I crack the edges but lifting or twisting the box / cover pulls up a frame or two ... really annoying the bees.

Have I got a special needs hive or is this normal with plastic frames?

I've also noted my hive doctor bases seem to have more bottom edge comb too.

maungaturoto
Experience
Commercial
yes they do glue them in a bit more, but that also happens with wood frames as well. a lot of it really depends on how long the boxes have been on the hive.
you simply need to get your hive opening technique a bit better. crack the lid/box a bit, smoke the gap, then prise the frames down.

yesbut

Staff member
Nelson
Experience
Hobbyist
I suggest these wedges would be a convenient shape.....dip the knob in red paint so you can find it in the grass... I'm not related to the vendor....

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
Reactions: Josh
Christchurch
Experience
Beginner
I suggest these wedges would be a convenient shape.....dip the knob in red paint so you can find it in the grass... I'm not related to the vendor....

They look good ... however I run a community workshop and if was found out buying wood products .....
I think I might have a crack making them on a lathe. I'll see how they go.

Christchurch
Experience
Beginner
I have a wood lathe and have made 100's of them as door stops. I cannot be bothered with making them now as they are now made on automatic machines and imported from overseas and the price made in unviable to make them.
I hear you. It's like wooden bowls. Try selling a rimu or other native timber bowl on trademe and you get a few dollars. Overseas rubbish and auto lathes competitors.

However as a project to teach skills the wedges will work well. Did you used to make two at a time, then cut diagonal? Also the knobs .. I assume waste wood outside then then sand off.

Christchurch
Experience
Hobbyist
I have a wood lathe and have made 100's of them as door stops. I cannot be bothered with making them now as they are now made on automatic machines and imported from overseas and the price made in unviable to make them.
if I can make it I will. The best it being tool justification.

If I can buy it local, that’s step two. If I can’t my next question is “do I need it?”

but it’s crazy, a new sail for my old Opti was going to cost $800 but is only $200 from China. Very hard to take the moral high ground.

Trevor Gillbanks

Founder Member
Palmerston North
Experience
Hobbyist
Did you used to make two at a time, then cut diagonal? Also the knobs .. I assume waste wood outside then then sand off.
Yes. I made them in pairs. Good skew chisel training. Then cut diagonally on a sledge on saw bench.
I also used to inlay a 5cent coin into them. Yes also trim and sand the ends.