Plastic vs wood frames

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Christchurch
Experience
Beginner
Nah. Just the standard 5 c. I also put them under bowls or on the rear of clocks. Not much work and a little bit of uniqueness.
I've got a truckload of 1c and 2c coins...I think you have inspired me.
Talking about sharp skew chisels ... just got a tormek m8 sharpener and jigs. Very sharp. Had been using a different jig and getting a straight blade edge, rather than rounded ,was hard as moving across the grinding wheel was always slightly circular.

Trevor Gillbanks

Founder Member
Palmerston North
Experience
Hobbyist
I've got a truckload of 1c and 2c coins...I think you have inspired me.
Talking about sharp skew chisels ... just got a tormek m8 sharpener and jigs. Very sharp. Had been using a different jig and getting a straight blade edge, rather than rounded ,was hard as moving across the grinding wheel was always slightly circular.
I was the national demonstrator for Woodcut sharpeners. I also have a Tormek sharpener with the woodturners accessory kit. Amazing sharpness with the Tormek.
1 and 2 c coins are yuk (colour) 5 cent look better.

Christchurch
Experience
Beginner
I was the national demonstrator for Woodcut sharpeners. I also have a Tormek sharpener with the woodturners accessory kit. Amazing sharpness with the Tormek.
1 and 2 c coins are yuk (colour) 5 cent look better.
It's the woodcut I was using. Found the shed users still didnt get good sharpness with it. Some people dont have a feel for tools...cant judge what they do.
Agreed re colour but I'm too tight to use a 20c piece :D

Hawkes Bay
Experience
Commercial
I have used both wood and plastic frames extensively and am 100% convinced that bees gum up the plastic frames a lot more than wooden frames making them difficult to get out of the box and difficult to split the boxes. Plastic frames have major advantages when it comes to extraction but that is not enough to keep me using them. Wooden frames are much easier to manipulate.

Christchurch
Experience
Beginner
I have used both wood and plastic frames extensively and am 100% convinced that bees gum up the plastic frames a lot more than wooden frames making them difficult to get out of the box and difficult to split the boxes. Plastic frames have major advantages when it comes to extraction but that is not enough to keep me using them. Wooden frames are much easier to manipulate.
I think that's what I am discovering. I have a hive came with plastic queen excluder. It might as well be a propolis mat. They are filling it in with propolis and wax. Soon it will be a bee excluder.

Plastic frames seem to have more comb above and below and I'm spending more time trying to break them free to inspect them which means annoyed bees.

I too am going to be sticking with wooden frames. Better for the environment too.

Reactions: Grant