Pollen Colour database -the colours of pollen loads of Honey bees

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Tanners Point 3177
Experience
Hobbyist
Good Morning,
I’m not new- just doing more art than bee forum over the last year….my membership seemed to have been deactivated because of extended absence.

The art is going well. Works on paper- Botanical art Including pollinators, Natural science art, watercolour, gouache, dry media. Slow, detailed, complicated, strangely soothing. These kinds of artwork regularly take 200 hours each, it’s simply the nature of the beast.

The database for my pollen colour chart is complete, first draft, but good enough to share with the specific people interested in it in late 2018. It grew to just under 1800 referenced pollen sources, with information on plant source time, quality, colour, nectar. The chart (artwork) itself is close to completion. I started research three years ago, I’m glad I didn’t approach the data collation half pie. Citizen Science but fairly good data. I have done my best.

I’m hoping to read my 2018 thread in this forum area about Pollen colours, Pollen Loads of Bees -so I can reconfirm the specific people interested in the data and artwork at the time. I think it’s been archived.

YesBut, Dave Black, Dansar, Kaihoka and several other kind people provided field observations, encouragement and very precious books. I’d still like to share my collated data, if they would like it for their personal interest. I have reactivated my membership so I’m contactable and able to converse. I would be happy if the people who originally helped me were to message me with their email details and confirm their interest in receiving the data in PDF form. Dave I do have your contact details.

Sharing the Pollen Colour Chart itself in full detail is somewhat difficult, it’s 2 metres tall and 1.5 metres wide. I will post an image when it’s ready.

The database turned into a beast but finally it is at a point where I may share it in first draft form. The information is part of my own ongoing work so the first draft will not be broadly available beyond the original contributors.

Tanners Point 3177
Experience
Hobbyist
Quick update- I have read the original archived thread now. I need to read the current forum guidelines so I’m not creating work. I will message the half dozen original contributors to the thread some time late next week asking if they would like a PDF copy.

Reactions: Grant

yesbut

Staff member
Nelson
Experience
Hobbyist
While we're on the subject of pollen, once upon a time I decided to learn how to do honey pollen counts. Nothing eventuated other than a book on my bookcase that I never look at and which judging by trademe has no commercial value...would anyone like an excellent condition copy of N T Moar's
Pollen Grains of NZ Dicotyledons , from Landcare Research.....for the cost of postage ...message me....

Reactions: GoEd

tommy dave

Gold
BOP Club
mostly wellington, sometimes dunedin
Experience
Hobbyist
While we're on the subject of pollen, once upon a time I decided to learn how to do honey pollen counts. Nothing eventuated other than a book on my bookcase that I never look at and which judging by trademe has no commercial value...would anyone like an excellent condition copy of N T Moar's
Pollen Grains of NZ Dicotyledons , from Landcare Research.....for the cost of postage ...message me....
if you don't hear back from any beeks, i'll ask some palynologists

Reactions: GoEd and yesbut
Tanners Point 3177
Experience
Hobbyist
Your book is in pristine condition, and it’s very hard to find. I think the only other copy I saw was a well used, well loved one in the SCION library ( caveat- memory dodgy after three years on pollen colours ). They may appreciate a beautiful replacement. I can’t believe it hasn’t been snapped up, Moar‘s monochrome photographs of pollen morphology are impressive.

Tanners Point 3177
Experience
Hobbyist
Well done, great to see how this has progressed. Bet you had no idea what a monumental amount of work it would be when you started!
It’s been a daily meditation. I needed to keep the scope to pollen colour, but could not resist adding in other key data as it surfaced. I’m glad I took that opportunity, the broader view highlights the most beneficial plants to cultivate and conserve.

Dansar

Founder Member
BOP Club
Putaruru
Experience
Commercial
@GoEd
If you do the Facebook thing. Contact me via Dansar Bees. Your pollen chart is an awesome piece of art and research.
Hopefully you don’t have too much trouble getting it to print with variations in colour reproduction.