NZBF: Possible Robbing

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Wellsford
Experience
Beginner
There was a lot of activity on one of my hives the other day and thought I could be witnessing a robbing taking place. As it happened I had just attended the club meeting a night before and had picked up a couple of the new 'Beast Blockers' from Ceracell which I immediately installed and closed off the hive. (Yes I could have stuffed the entrance with grass or other but thought I may as well use what I just bought). The neighbouring hive was quiet by comparison. I opened up one door on dusk as there were plenty of bees milling around outside but in a calm fashion.
Checked the hive the next day and all seemed in order. I did notice the frames in the super were emptying a little.

Would this be from a possible robbing? I didn't notice any dead bees at the entrance apart from your regular clean-outs. Also no wasps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Mark Lawrence

Grant

Staff member
Founder Member
Platinum
What was the weather like? Here in CHC for instance we had a couple of fine days and yesterday got quite warm in the afternoon.

Mummzie

Staff member
Tasman
Experience
Hobbyist
Would this be from a possible robbing?
Hard to tell without knowing more about the hive/ your nectar flows etc. Possible orientation flights for a new squadron?
If you opened the hive the next day and didn't have robbers waiting to pounce, I'm thinking it wasn't.
The frames may be emptying because there are more mouths to feed, and very little coming in.

maungaturoto
Experience
Commercial
There was a lot of activity on one of my hives the other day and thought I could be witnessing a robbing taking place. As it happened I had just attended the club meeting a night before and had picked up a couple of the new 'Beast Blockers' from Ceracell which I immediately installed and closed off the hive. (Yes I could have stuffed the entrance with grass or other but thought I may as well use what I just bought). The neighbouring hive was quiet by comparison. I opened up one door on dusk as there were plenty of bees milling around outside but in a calm fashion.
Checked the hive the next day and all seemed in order. I did notice the frames in the super were emptying a little.

Would this be from a possible robbing? I didn't notice any dead bees at the entrance apart from your regular clean-outs. Also no wasps.
i've done over 20 years beekeeping in your area and never used entrance reducers.
one of the big problems of reducing the entrance is actually cooking the hive, something i've seen people do.
the main way to avoid robbing is to keep the hive nice and strong.
any thing weak is fair game for robbers.

pics always helps in these sort of situations.

Sydney
Experience
International
i've done over 20 years beekeeping in your area and never used entrance reducers.
one of the big problems of reducing the entrance is actually cooking the hive, something i've seen people do.
the main way to avoid robbing is to keep the hive nice and strong.
any thing weak is fair game for robbers.

pics always helps in these sort of situations.
It's enough to make a stronger hive so it doesn't get robbed, am I right?