Queen Bee Artificial insemination

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Russia
Experience
International
Hello, I would be interested to know how things are going with artificial/ instrumental insemination in New Zealand? I have seen only one company on the Internet - Betta apiaries. ( I may be mistaken) Controlled mating gives very good results. German breeders have achieved impressive results using this method.

Reactions: Grant

Otto

Gold
Dunedin
Experience
Semi Commercial
There are a few people doing it here. David Yanke has been doing it for decades, first with breeding a better Italian line and, once varroa arrived he imported Carniolan semen to start a new line. Bettabees have a closed population for breeding Italians. They're very focused on improved honey production.
There are others also using instrumental insemination for breeding bees. I have had a bit of a play with it. We used it to produce a whole bunch of lines that were tracked for 4-5 generations, not for specifically breeding traits but to use for setting a baseline for how genetics is passed on from generation to generation (as part of a big research project).

Alastair

Founder Member
Platinum
Auckland
Experience
Semi Commercial
Sold my old AI (or II) unit years ago when I thought I had retired from bees, and then regretted it.

Just bought a new setup. Among all the hybrid rubbish I have a few very nice hives with some excellent traits, I am planning to get to work and line breed and purify, and start selling bees with select traits. More as breeder queens than production hive queens.

Too busy right now to properly get into it I need to sell a couple hundred hives to free up time for some serious work on this.

Reactions: Dansar

Alastair

Founder Member
Platinum
Auckland
Experience
Semi Commercial
Yes yours are going well big fat queens and happy with the bees. Also the ones I got from Glynn are a very nice bee

It's part of my plan to buy in bees from around the place and run them for a year to decide which have the qualities I want to develop. I would like another 10 queens from you this autumn in march if you can spare (y).

My own bees have been mating local for quite a few years and to be honest are not the greatest, It's been real nice this spring working a lot of hives that were requeened with bought stuff last autumn and seeing some very nice bees, makes the job more pleasant :)

Last edited:
Christchurch
Experience
Semi Commercial
Yes yours are going well big fat queens and happy with the bees. Also the ones I got from Glynn are a very nice bee

It's part of my plan to buy in bees from around the place and run them for a year to decide which have the qualities I want to develop. I would like another 10 queens from you this autumn in march if you can spare (y).

My own bees have been mating local for quite a few years and to be honest are not the greatest, It's been real nice this spring working a lot of hives that were requeened with bought stuff last autumn and seeing some very nice bees, makes the job more pleasant :)
That’s great to hear. I’m pretty fortunate where my mating yards are here that I can confidently flood the area with my drones, giving me a greater chance of getting the genetics that I’m after.

Yes, I should have plenty in autumn. I have doubled my nucs now, so will have 60 per cycle… keeping me on my toes!

Reactions: Alastair