NZBF: Query on Formic Pro with Hive Doctor Bottom Board

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Wellington
Experience
Beginner
Hi,

This is my first year of beekeeping and I'm getting my hives ready for Winter. I'm attempting to use Formic Pro as varroa treatment, but after reading the instructions I'm somewhat confused. In brief, the instructions require you to: close up a screened / mesh bottom board, and fully remove any entrance reducers. I have a Hive Doctor bottom board (Hive Doctor Smart Bottom Board) and I'm not entirely sure how that affects it.

My current thoughts are to:
- Close up Hive Doctor bottom board with checking trays (White Pest Checking Tray for Hive Doctor Smart Bottom Board • Ecrotek)
- Leave the triple-disc entrance attached (and unchanged, i.e. all three discs set to "open")

What do the more experienced beekeepers think? Is this a reasonable approach?

Regards,
Jon

• Good Info
Reactions: Grant
Christchurch
Experience
Beginner
Hi,

This is my first year of beekeeping and I'm getting my hives ready for Winter. I'm attempting to use Formic Pro as varroa treatment, but after reading the instructions I'm somewhat confused. In brief, the instructions require you to: close up a screened / mesh bottom board, and fully remove any entrance reducers. I have a Hive Doctor bottom board (Hive Doctor Smart Bottom Board) and I'm not entirely sure how that affects it.

- Close up Hive Doctor bottom board with checking trays (White Pest Checking Tray for Hive Doctor Smart Bottom Board • Ecrotek)
- Leave the triple-disc entrance attached (and unchanged, i.e. all three discs set to "open")

Regards,
Jon
I wonder if the triple open is enough. It might be worth moving your boxes forward to open the full width if a full width opening is what's suggested. I understand formic can be quite irritating to bees.

Wellington
Experience
Hobbyist
Hi,

Regards,
Jon
How did you get on with this .. ?

Reactions: Grant