Rata Vine

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Hawkes Bay
Experience
Commercial
Like a parasite that lives symbiotically or a parasite that kills its host... very beekeeping.
I like to think I am in a symbiotic relationship with my bees.
I know some bee havers who are definitely in a parasitic relationship and there seems to be quite a few out there now that are more like epiphytes hanging on and hoping the next storm doesn't send them crashing.

West Coast
Experience
Hobbyist
Thank you @kaihoka, looks beautiful, I don't think we got them down here. Our Southern Rata had a prolific flowering too this year, started in November and lasted till January.
Is that early for your area? In the Otira Valley it started early January and was over by 1st week of Febuary, normally it starts mid to late Jauary and is over by end of Febuary

southbee

Gold
Southland
Experience
Commercial
It was very early @bighands , when we saw the first trees coming out in flower we didn't believe it and got the bino's out to confirm. Normally it starts around Christmas/New Year. The nice bit was, that it lasted for so long and even with bad weather in between the bees worked it well.

Reactions: kaihoka

kaihoka

Gold
whanganui inlet
Experience
Hobbyist
It was very early @bighands , when we saw the first trees coming out in flower we didn't believe it and got the bino's out to confirm. Normally it starts around Christmas/New Year. The nice bit was, that it lasted for so long and even with bad weather in between the bees worked it well.
The rata tree had a very extended season here too .
It started normal time . The previous summers it had started early but we had a cool summer this yr.
We have had two good rata flowerings in a row , do not hope for much next season .

Reactions: southbee

kaihoka

Gold
whanganui inlet
Experience
Hobbyist
I think a lot of dry weather and a bit of warmth is need to get the sugar concentration high enough in the flowers to make it worth while for the bees to bother with rata vine .

Christchurch
Experience
Hobbyist
I had that debate with my Dad of vine vs tree. Turns out rata can be both. Vines tend to be norther, and further south you go the rata is less of a vine and more of a tree and doesn’t have a host at all.

• Agree
Reactions: kaihoka