Revitalising Oxalic Strips

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Marlborough
Experience
Semi Commercial
has any one brought there oxy strips back to life after pulling perfectly good strips from the hives, can they be resoaked and reused, just wandering as i keep shifting the buckets of them around the shed, bee keen to hear your thoughts.

Reactions: Grant
North Canterbury
Experience
Commercial
Good question.. my gut says no because they will no doubt still contain some ingredients at unknown levels and those ingredients may be degraded.
I’ve got a dozen odd buckets in my shed as well.. but just use the new ones for each treatment to be safe.

• Agree
Reactions: Otto

Grant

Staff member
Founder Member
Platinum
Good question.. my gut says no because they will no doubt still contain some ingredients at unknown levels and those ingredients may be degraded.
I’ve got a dozen odd buckets in my shed as well.. but just use the new ones for each treatment to be safe.
Even if you re-soak them? Wouldn't that act as a recharge to the ingredient levels?

This topic is asking if you can use them again after soaking them.
The composing was a bit off track so I made a new question about it.

Reactions: stoney
Dunedin
Experience
Semi Commercial
Even if you re-soak them? Wouldn't that act as a recharge to the ingredient levels?

This topic is asking if you can use them again after soaking them.
The composing was a bit off track so I made a new question about it.
I also had the feeling I was going off track with the composting topic, so good to have that as a separate one.
With respect to this topic, I can't see me trying to reuse oxalic staples as there are too many variables being introduced when doing it. One of the important things about dealing with varroa is trust in the product you're using, so it needs to be reliable and give reproducible results. Given the inexpensive nature of making these I just don't see why you would add such variables to the equation.

Grant

Staff member
Founder Member
Platinum
Ok guys. Don't forget to uprate the most appropriate answer, or downgrade the most inappropriate answer. The more up votes the higher it appears in the responses. The OP or a member of staff can designate a post as the best answer.

Whakatane
Experience
Commercial
Hey guys who have buckets of used oxy strips, they are natural products and burn very well. I have an old honey drum for burning.
When I take used oxy strips out I often take a bit of wax that is in the way. The mix of the wax and strips burn very well. get it started with some rubbish or a fire starter. Our shed is too small to have junk around and hubby always wants a bigger shed. Any thing to make a bit more space.

Reactions: Sailabee and Otto