Selling Honey and NP1's

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Te Horo
Experience
Hobbyist
Hi all, ok, I have decided that MPI like making me run around in circles.
I want to be able to sell honey at our local markets etc (legally).
  1. I have the form for Food Registration from the Council
  2. I have the scope of operations
  3. I have the name of a verifier of my honey house (to be booked in)
  4. I have a NP1 Guidance form BUT I don't actually know what the heck I am looking at.
Question: Can anyone help me out with a copy of their plan that I can use as a template, I only have a few hives, and want to extract my own honey.

Help Please

Dansar

Founder Member
BOP Club
Putaruru
Experience
Commercial
I haven’t gone through the process, but only a few hives and their honey likely would not even cover the cost of auditing, honey testing, labelling and packaging costs.
Unless you are looking to make it a “not for profit” venture…

Reactions: NZDan
Te Horo
Experience
Hobbyist
Thanks for that, I already, pay for tutin testing, packaging and my own labels so that extra cost would be minimal in the big picture.

Piopio
Experience
Semi Commercial
Once you have your registration from the council you can book an audit with your chosen verifier. Your plan is everything you do in your business to ensure your product is safe (according to food safety standards).
I don't have a step by step written plan as such but my records show I cover each of the elements in the NP guidelines. Your plan will be specific to your business. It's about showing proof you are doing things correctly.
Your auditor might be kind enough to answer some questions before you book.
When you finally get your first audit if you are falling short in some areas your auditor will pick them up and you will have a chance to fix them.

Reactions: NZDan