Sexist or Irresponsible beekeeping or PC OTT?

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Last edited:
Reactions: NZDan and kaihoka

Alastair

Founder Member
Platinum
Auckland
Experience
Semi Commercial
Yes I saw this unfold on Beesource, got to say I was a bit taken aback.

I'm a member of that forum and considered giving my opinion but the tone was already set by a bunch of people who think you can only work bees dressed in full suit of armour.

My recommendation to this lady, if she enjoys what she is doing keep doing it. Stick it to the negative people.

Here's the thread.

Alastair

Founder Member
Platinum
Auckland
Experience
Semi Commercial
Now I think about it, reminds me of a family outing where I introduced two of my grandchildren to beekeeping. Bees were very docile and I got some pics of them looking in a hive without wearing veils etc. Great pics I thought so I put them online, both here and on Beesource. I got a face full of critisism by a bunch of Americans with the same mindset as the people attacking this lady. Those guys just don't know how to work a hive, or read a hive.

Alastair

Founder Member
Platinum
Auckland
Experience
Semi Commercial
One thing Mummzie, about the sexist claim.

The attack on Erika was started on Tik Tok by fellow female "bee rescuer" Friday Chamberlain.

Can't have 2 queen bees in the same hive I guess 😮

Here's the scoop

• Haha
Reactions: Grant and Daley
Gizzy
Experience
Commercial
Now I think about it, reminds me of a family outing where I introduced two of my grandchildren to beekeeping. Bees were very docile and I got some pics of them looking in a hive without wearing veils etc. Great pics I thought so I put them online, both here and on Beesource. I got a face full of critisism by a bunch of Americans with the same mindset as the people attacking this lady. Those guys just don't know how to work a hive, or read a hive.
Isn’t it funny how people will go out of their way to try and make you feel bad about something that you know was almost totally safe.
I take my kids beekeeping sometimes and I know there’s a small risk they could get stung, but I’d never take them out when it’s gnarly.

Mummzie

Staff member
Tasman
Experience
Hobbyist
I based the "sexist" on this part in the first linked article.

"In fact, research from 2018 confirmed women are more likely to get negative comments on YouTube, so it is sadly unsurprising a woman is behind the “controversial” videos."

That is not defining if the attacks are initiated by male or female or other, but in my experience, I would not be surprised if it did end up as initiated by female.

• Good Info
Reactions: Alastair
canterbury
Experience
Commercial
cool ..... I learnt two things ..... a hand held heat seeking thermo is quite usefull, and finally saw what people use those queen catching devices for. ...... and that some reporters just need to zip it when reporting about stuff they know very little about.

Reactions: kaihoka
Christchurch
Experience
Beginner
Isn’t it funny how people will go out of their way to try and make you feel bad about something that you know was almost totally safe.
I take my kids beekeeping sometimes and I know there’s a small risk they could get stung, but I’d never take them out when it’s gnarly.
Part of the unsafe bit in USA might be the prevalence of africanized bees. Sets a bad example if a noob opens a dangerous hive under dressed. It's very much about knowing your hives I guess. But how many disclaimers can you give.

I have learned shorts are a bad option bee keeping. They do crawl upwards.

Reactions: tristan
Gizzy
Experience
Commercial
Part of the unsafe bit in USA might be the prevalence of africanized bees. Sets a bad example if a noob opens a dangerous hive under dressed. It's very much about knowing your hives I guess. But how many disclaimers can you give.

I have learned shorts are a bad option bee keeping. They do crawl upwards.
Natural selection.

They definitely crawl upwards at night lol
I often beekeep in shorts without a problem but my bees are pretty quiet as bees go.

Alastair

Founder Member
Platinum
Auckland
Experience
Semi Commercial
Well me, I rarely wear a suit and don't even like veils much, shorts though are a step too far, as I learned the painful way fairly early in my career 😮.

My normal garb is jeans and a short sleeved top of some sort, and a veil in the truck just in case. I can totally relate to what Erika does, other than the long hair which must be for the camera, wouldn't be long in a commercial setting for that to go pear shaped ;).

If I was working for someone else I would have to pick up the pace over the fairly relaxed style I enjoy now a days, no doubt I would have to don full armour so I could rip in. Not enjoyable though.

Bay of Plenty
Experience
Commercial
I get more bees going down in my boots then up my shorts lol
Had a bee up my shorts once while driving in an orchard, she stung the family jewels and I nearly crashed into a headland shelterbelt as I reacted by straighten out my legs onto the accelerator pedal. Luckily the headland, truck and jewels survived, but did look a site with my pants down trying to flick sting out. Worker never did offer to help.