Sexist or Irresponsible beekeeping or PC OTT?

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Last edited:
Reactions: NZDan and kaihoka
maungaturoto
Experience
Commercial
you are all such brave people .
i feel like such a wuss always wearing a suit.
the lads often wear just a veil.
however there has been a few times where someone has struck a nasty hive and they tear off up the paddock screaming like little girls.

when i started all the bees where stroppy. so i learnt to armor up well.
the lads have only had nice bees, they have not had those lessons.
but also there is accidents, something gets dropped, bees get nasty. need someone all suited up to go in a deal with it.

Hawkes Bay
Experience
Commercial
I would never breed from something I couldn't work without just using a smoker even on a sub optimal day. Mind you a lot of things contribute to how bees react. Take a hive from here in the Bay up to Coromandel and it will be twice as nasty and take the same hive to Canterbury and it will be nicer. My hives around home I tend to work without any gear at all but when I'm out in the field I wear everything because I'm in a hurry. Most of the time I would get away without a veil but there are some days.. I wear gloves because it keeps my hands clean and is quicker plus you end up with a lot of stings just from accidentally squashing bees.

southbee

Gold
Southland
Experience
Commercial
I would never breed from something I couldn't work without just using a smoker even on a sub optimal day. Mind you a lot of things contribute to how bees react. Take a hive from here in the Bay up to Coromandel and it will be twice as nasty and take the same hive to Canterbury and it will be nicer. My hives around home I tend to work without any gear at all but when I'm out in the field I wear everything because I'm in a hurry. Most of the time I would get away without a veil but there are some days.. I wear gloves because it keeps my hands clean and is quicker plus you end up with a lot of stings just from accidentally squashing bees.
I agree, it's faster with all the gear on. Having a veil and gloves also keeps me focused on the job, no tickling on the hands or buzzing around my ears I have to worry about. I remembered a comment you made on the old forum about the gloves wearing out. So I tried what you suggested, cutting off the worn out tips and using gardening gloves underneath and it works a treat, thank you!

great barrier island
Experience
Semi Commercial
the lads often wear just a veil.
however there has been a few times where someone has struck a nasty hive and they tear off up the paddock screaming like little girls.

when i started all the bees where stroppy. so i learnt to armor up well.
the lads have only had nice bees, they have not had those lessons.
but also there is accidents, something gets dropped, bees get nasty. need someone all suited up to go in a deal with it.
i wonder what would happen re H & S if they got stung and had a bad reaction.
although i’ve forgotten to do my veil up, found a stroppy hive and run away screaming like a little girl.....

Reactions: kaihoka
maungaturoto
Experience
Commercial
for them nothing. if your going to have reactions its going to be early on and you will be finding a new job.
its the new guys you have to watch.

reminds me of a guy i knew back in school, was an apprentice but got allergic to the paints/resins they use.

kaihoka

Gold
whanganui inlet
Experience
Hobbyist
although i’ve forgotten to do my veil up, found a stroppy hive and run away screaming like a little girl.....
I wonder how many people have worked a hive with veil down.
Hive gets twitchy so veil is hurriedly pulled over head .
Then a couple of bees are noticed on the wrong side of veil .
If I have to pull up the veil I go away from the hive and shake out throughly before I pull it up .

Central Otago
Experience
Hobbyist
I have no issue with people showing themselves working with bees without the full suit and gear. Every hive and swarm is different and you read the bees and take the precautions and risks by your own judgements. What does concern me is the number of videos out there of people doing oxalic acid vaporising of hives without using respirators and other PPE. Standing downwind is not going to save your lungs if the wind changes suddenly!