Smartphone plant identification app!

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Auckland
Experience
Hobbyist
As a hobby beekeeper with very limited knowlege of various plants benificial for bees, has any bodyfound found a good FREE app for smartphones that I can download and identify New Zealand plants, trees and flowers?

Taupo
Experience
Hobbyist
My mate has one, which he has used to ID plants for me...it is called 'Plant ID' apparently! I don't know any more about it, I haven't bothered getting it, as it is easier to get him to do it for me!

yesbut

Staff member
Nelson
Experience
Hobbyist
3 seconds Googling "NZ Plant ID App" turned up this one...looks good to me....

Edit: Maybe not. It doesn't have pictures, it relies on a series of keys....There are lots of tree/plant ID field guides around that don't take up much room on the dash...

Dave Black

Gold
BOP Club
Bay of Plenty
Experience
Retired
PlantSnap is okay, but they all suck at NZ plants. However, honeybees don't always use NZ plants. NZtrees is useful though, with a more traditional 'key' based approach rather than camera-based. Your other option is to use iNaturalist which is an expert and widely-used community, but that's a bit like posting pics here, to a considerably less expert community. :)

Grant

Staff member
Founder Member
Platinum
As a hobby beekeeper with very limited knowlege of various plants benificial for bees, has any bodyfound found a good FREE app for smartphones that I can download and identify New Zealand plants, trees and flowers?
If you're truly stuck post a photo here. Many people are pretty good at the native plant ID's like we used to

Hamilton
Experience
Researcher
I used PlantSnap a few times, but it never seemed to get things quite right. I'd take a picture of a plant, it would identify it, then I'd cross-check against google and it often wouldn't be quite right.

Tried this a few times in the garden centre at Bunnings - walk around, snap pics of plants, get the app to ID them, then cross-check against the label. About half the time it would get the right genus but not the right species. Still far from perfect at this point.