NZBF: Split after removing mite strips

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Ahuroa
Experience
Hobbyist
Hi, I have Apivar strips in my hive due out 30 September, but the hive is filling up really fast and I would like to split it. Should I just give them an extra box for the spare honey and wait it out, or can I split now and maybe add new strips to the split and take them out at the same time as the others?

Cheers Ahudot

Alastair

Founder Member
Platinum
Auckland
Experience
Semi Commercial
Hi Ahudot you are just a few km's away from where I used to have an apiary.

A couple things will make it easier to answer your question. Is your hive one or two brood boxes? And what date did you put the Apivar strips in? If the hive is two brood boxes are there two strips in each box? Also how will you get the extra queen for the split?

Mummzie

Staff member
Tasman
Experience
Hobbyist
the question I would ask to help you make this decision is-
how do you plan to deal with varroa after 30 Sept ?

Ahuroa
Experience
Hobbyist
Hi Ahudot you are just a few km's away from where I used to have an apiary.

A couple things will make it easier to answer your question. Is your hive one or two brood boxes? And what date did you put the Apivar strips in? If the hive is two brood boxes are there two strips in each box? Also how will you get the extra queen for the split?
Thank you Alastair,

One brood box but they have filled the box above this with honey already. I was just going to do a poor man's split.

Cheers,

Dorothy

Alastair

Founder Member
Platinum
Auckland
Experience
Semi Commercial
One brood box but they have filled the box above this with honey already. I was just going to do a poor man's split.

Thanks that is useful information. There are very few drones around yet so it is early to do a poor mans split, it is unlikely the new queen would get properly mated. Since the hive just has one brood box, a better plan right now would be to add a second brood box (under the queen excluder) and allow the bees to expand into that, with brood in both boxes. That will give the bees the extra room they need, and in a month or so you can easily make the split just by removing one of the brood boxes to a new floorboard. By that time the new queen will have a much better chance at a good mating.

Re what to do about the mite treatment strips, can you remember when they were put into the hive?

Ahuroa
Experience
Hobbyist
Thanks that is useful information. There are very few drones around yet so it is early to do a poor mans split, it is unlikely the new queen would get properly mated. Since the hive just has one brood box, a better plan right now would be to add a second brood box (under the queen excluder) and allow the bees to expand into that, with brood in both boxes. That will give the bees the extra room they need, and in a month or so you can easily make the split just by removing one of the brood boxes to a new floorboard. By that time the new queen will have a much better chance at a good mating.

Re what to do about the mite treatment strips, can you remember when they were put into the hive?

Ahuroa
Experience
Hobbyist
Thanks. Strips went in 13 August, had not thought about splitting the brood over two boxes, could do that and just add 3rd box for more honey.
Cheers, Ahudot

Alastair

Founder Member
Platinum
Auckland
Experience
Semi Commercial
Thanks. That means you are intending to take the Apivar out after 7 ish weeks. Although the instructions say 6 - 10 weeks, my own experience is that Apivar can be quite slow to get all the mites, it is best to leave for the full 10 weeks. Therefore, if you add another brood box or whatever way you make the split, all brood boxes from now till almost end of October should have 2 strips per box.

Nothing worse than cheapskating on the treatment then finding down the track your hive is just not performing and you miss a lot of potential honey crop.

No need to worry about contamination of the current honey box. When you do your split, that box will be the second box on one of the hives, and at seasons end should be left on the hive for winter feed.