Study on the effectiveness of oxalic acid vapour to control varroa mites

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Alastair

Founder Member
Platinum
Auckland
Experience
Semi Commercial
Experimental A. mellifera colonies were established in the summer months of 2019 & 2020 and maintained in two deep Langstroth hives on research lands maintained by the University of Georgia (UGA) Bee Lab in Watkinsville, GA and the Auburn University Bee Lab in Auburn, AL. Queens, with no specific genotype, were purchased from a commercial operation in North Georgia. Prior to the beginning of the experiment, colonies were assessed and only those that were healthy with productive queens were included. Colonies were not manipulated to be ‘standardized’ in size or brood area beyond all being maintained with equal hive space, so as to accurately capture the variation in colony metrics observed in real apiaries.

Mummzie

Staff member
Tasman
Experience
Hobbyist
Its always good to see examination of concepts.
My take on this is that the legal dosage of vaporised OA in the USA is too small to be any use. Is that how others see it?

Alastair

Founder Member
Platinum
Auckland
Experience
Semi Commercial
They dosed at 1 gram per super per dose. That is the standard dosage worldwide for oxalic vaporization.

I have experimented with up to 4 times that dose rate and did not get any significant increase in kill of phoretic mites.

Christchurch
Experience
Semi Commercial
They dosed at 1 gram per super per dose. That is the standard dosage worldwide for oxalic vaporization.

I have experimented with up to 4 times that dose rate and did not get any significant increase in kill of phoretic mites.
I thought the latest research from the UoG indicates that 4g OAV for a double deep is now the recommended dose…?

UK
Experience
International
Thanks for the report, repeated vaping is something that some UK beekeepers use. Maybe its not so effective as they think!