Surprising how long Apivar can last

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Alastair

Founder Member
Platinum
Auckland
Experience
Semi Commercial
Got a call from a friend wanting me to check their hive. Last time I was there I treated it with Apivar, that was 14 months ago.

I asked her what her treatments had been since then, my heart sank when she said she hadn't done any.

So I go there, expecting a seriously ill or dead hive. But no. Opened the hive and discovered the Apivar from 14 months ago was still in the brood box, and the bees were in good shape 😮.

Dansar

Founder Member
BOP Club
Putaruru
Experience
Commercial
Got a call from a friend wanting me to check their hive. Last time I was there I treated it with Apivar, that was 14 months ago.

I asked her what her treatments had been since then, my heart sank when she said she hadn't done any.

So I go there, expecting a seriously ill or dead hive. But no. Opened the hive and discovered the Apivar from 14 months ago was still in the brood box, and the bees were in good shape 😮.
Did you get a chance to do an alcohol wash or sugar shake? Obviously hive was going well, but curious as to the mite levels.

Alastair

Founder Member
Platinum
Auckland
Experience
Semi Commercial
No didn't test it.

There was a bee with DWV so I assume there was some level of mites. But the hive generally was still in pretty good shape, no dead brood and plenty of bees with a good vibe to the hive.

I removed the treatment and placed new treatment I know the hive will be fine.

Reactions: Dansar
New Plymouth
Experience
Hobbyist

Have a hive that is really strong but have only had Apivar strips in for 10 days no or near no mites needs honey supers added can I leave strips in.

maungaturoto
Experience
Commercial
Have a hive that is really strong but have only had Apivar strips in for 10 days no or near no mites needs honey supers added can I leave strips in.
your not meant to, but you don't have any choice as the hive will otherwise die as it will still have mites in the brood waiting to hatch out.
depending on where you are and your local honey flows, you may not get any honey flows anyway so honey contamination is a minor issue.

got as pic of the hive at all?

• Good Info
Reactions: Alastair

Mummzie

Staff member
Tasman
Experience
Hobbyist
a- how have you established no/near no mites?
b- realistically, how much honey will be gathered over the remaining 6 weeks of the treatment.

Without knowing the setup of the hive ie- how many boxes, the local conditions and your beekeeping aspirations its hard to make suggestions. If the colony is in one box only- maybe what it needs is second brood box rather than honey supers. This is usually the time when the bees are using up everything they forage.
Safest action would be to continue the full course of the treatment IMO.