Survey: Have your say about the NZ Honey Industry

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Drury
Experience
Semi Commercial
If you want to have your say and be heard about the NZ Honey Industry in 2021, here is a good survey.

What is the survey?
It's part of my friend's project for the Kellogg Rural Leaders Programme looking to help shape the future of the NZ Honey Industry.

What is the purpose of this survey?
To capture a real-time snapshot of the NZ Honey Industry - what's working and not working - for discussion in their Kellogg Rural Leaders project.

Confidentiality and data security?
All answers are anonymous and unidentifiable to you and your data is securely stored on a private, password-protected network.

How long does the survey take to complete?
About 12 mins. It has 10 multi-choice questions and 19 short-answer questions (e.g. 1-3 sentences each).

When does the survey close?
Submission deadline is 9pm Sun 9 May.

Hawkes Bay
Experience
Commercial
Lots of yes no questions that seem to be aimed at honey marketers rather than beekeepers..
Also questions about are we happy about the leaders of the New Zealand beekeeping industry. Which leaders and which organisation (s).
I think I would have preferred graduated answers like how many out of 10.

yesbut

Staff member
Nelson
Experience
Hobbyist
Lots of yes no questions that seem to be aimed at honey marketers rather than beekeepers..
I didn't get that impression at all. It's as inclusive as you feel like making it. I didn't submit anything in case anyone wonders just whizzed through to have a look.

Drury
Experience
Semi Commercial
Thanks for all of your comments and questions and a big thanks for those who have already taken the time to complete the survey.
The person who has prepared this survey is currently enrolled in the Kellogg Rural Leaders postgraduate program. Her name is Kathryn and she has chosen the New Zealand honey industry for her report. The KRL program discourages giving out any personal information with the survey so sorry, that is all I can disclose about Kathryn. I recommend that you complete and submit the survey and request a copy of the report when it's completed. It will be a fresh view of the industry with some recommendations that I hope will lead to some real change.

Drury
Experience
Semi Commercial
your friend's survey seems terrribly flawed and a waste of time and space. It's a shame. Define the "NZ honey industry" would be a great start, close to impossibly to provide sensible answers to most questions. Up to you whether you provide this feedback to your friend obviously.
Thanks for your feed back and suggestion. I guess the Honey Industry would be defined in the same way as the ' Dairy Industry' or the 'Beef and Lamb Industry' or the 'Forestry Industry'. It's a broad description of the entire industry from the grower/producer through to the processors and exporters and includes the Industry Organisations. A lot of time, effort and research went into preparing this survey and it might not be asking the questions that you believe are important but I don't think that makes it waste of time. It is quick and easy to complete and the more people that fill it out the more useful the results will be.

Drury
Experience
Semi Commercial
Once again THANK YOU to all the people who have taken the 10 minutes to complete the survey. Some really valuable information is coming through. If you have a few minutes of spare time in the next day or two please give it a go. Thanks

Grant

Staff member
Founder Member
Platinum
your friend's survey seems terrribly flawed and a waste of time and space. It's a shame. Define the "NZ honey industry" would be a great start, close to impossibly to provide sensible answers to most questions. Up to you whether you provide this feedback to your friend obviously.

Generally a post grad is given guidance on how to ask the questions for their data. Whilst it may not seem appropriate to your view of the industry in real life, if you put a group of 1000 beekeepers in a room and ask them to carry out a task they will do it 1000 different ways.
So the questions have to be generic and in some instances closed to avoid 10,000 interpretations.
Beekeepers - packers - marketers: some operations deal with just one element, some operations the whole lifecycle, so again its what's appropriate for you. It could perhaps be avoided with a yes - no - n/a response