NZBF: The value of multiple hives

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Christchurch
Experience
Hobbyist
Had a great day in the hives. But astounds me how variable they are.

1 with a full box and great stores
1 with stores but none for me
1 needs feeding or it’ll have no stores. But great brood
1 which might need feeding, but had nectar coming in.
1 weak nuc, laying queen but going backwards. Might be a lost cause , but will see

Couldn’t be more different.

Strips are all in now to wait for wintering down soon

Reactions: Grant and sarahC
maungaturoto
Experience
Commercial
there is reasons that they are like that.
its up to the beekeeper to understand the why and know how to fix when required.

one of the difficult things is the time between cause and effect. quite often people by the time people have seen the effect they have forgotten what the cause was. also, sometimes, by the time they see the effect its to late.
you need to learn what the causes are. that way you can fix them before its to late.

Reactions: tommy dave
Christchurch
Experience
Hobbyist
there is reasons that they are like that.
its up to the beekeeper to understand the why and know how to fix when required.

one of the difficult things is the time between cause and effect. quite often people by the time people have seen the effect they have forgotten what the cause was. also, sometimes, by the time they see the effect its to late.
you need to learn what the causes are. that way you can fix them before its to late.
Quite right, the strong hive was used to make a vertical split.... left it reasonably strong despite. My theories are;

The one with stores, but none for me was a nuc this season and maybe swarmed (never figured that out)
The one that needs feeding is a worry. Couldn't' find the queen, but it is queen right. So no mite count. But no overt PMS signs. It didn't look like it's been robbed. Strong laying, and good spread of brood, no old cells. It was another potential swarm hive (and was the split generated from the strong hive)
The last one was from a new nuc this season so not too worried.

The nuc that's failing has been perched out in the wind, i should have found a more sheltered spot for it. So I've moved it back to my urban sunny apiary. This nuc also suffered the fact I forgot that when you generate a nuc as part of swarm control, you should move it to the "out apiary" so that you loose less bees from drift.

But my point is still valid. As a keeper that is constantly learning, unlike people with years of experience who know it all, having a manageable number of hives gives great exposure to variances by comparison.

Mid Canterbury
Experience
Semi Commercial
Quite right, the strong hive was used to make a vertical split.... left it reasonably strong despite. My theories are;

The one with stores, but none for me was a nuc this season and maybe swarmed (never figured that out)
The one that needs feeding is a worry. Couldn't' find the queen, but it is queen right. So no mite count. But no overt PMS signs. It didn't look like it's been robbed. Strong laying, and good spread of brood, no old cells. It was another potential swarm hive (and was the split generated from the strong hive)
The last one was from a new nuc this season so not too worried.

The nuc that's failing has been perched out in the wind, i should have found a more sheltered spot for it. So I've moved it back to my urban sunny apiary. This nuc also suffered the fact I forgot that when you generate a nuc as part of swarm control, you should move it to the "out apiary" so that you loose less bees from drift.

But my point is still valid. As a keeper that is constantly learning, unlike people with years of experience who know it all, having a manageable number of hives gives great exposure to variances by comparison.
Hi Josh - To me, from what you have said, it sounds like your hives are going into winter far too light. I suggest you buy a copy of Mathieson & Reid, they will tell you how to winter down your hives. If you are going to feed raw sugar and syrup, I suggest as a hobbyist you would be best to put it on, on a cool night. Otherwise you will risk robbing and your hives will get decimated. Tonight would be a good night to feed hives in Canterbury, and I am just on my way out to feed my polys with heavy syrup. They will take down the syrup overnight night, and not get robbed.

maungaturoto
Experience
Commercial
could not agree more (y), but even people with decades of experience are still learning. no one knows it all.
the advantage of commercial is when your going through hundreds if not thousands of hives, is you get to see a lot. that "once in a lifetime" is something you might see every year.

Christchurch
Experience
Hobbyist
Hi Josh - To me, from what you have said, it sounds like your hives are going into winter far too light. I suggest you buy a copy of Mathieson & Reid, they will tell you how to winter down your hives. If you are going to feed raw sugar and syrup, I suggest as a hobbyist you would be best to put it on, on a cool night. Otherwise you will risk robbing and your hives will get decimated. Tonight would be a good night to feed hives in Canterbury, and I am just on my way out to feed my polys with heavy syrup. They will take down the syrup overnight night, and not get robbed.
😂 i had to google it.... Practical beekeeping in New Zealand, have a copy thanks. Totally agree, its a great read and especially useful since it is NZ timelines and you don't have to translate the months constantly. I find my self referring to it at least every 3rd trip through the hives.

Thanks for the feed timing advice. Must admit I tend to feed when i can, rather than when I should. But will try to do so

Mid Canterbury
Experience
Semi Commercial
I hope you beat the weather.
Yes, all good. Looks like there is rain again on Tues night, so another good time to feed poly nucs. Today will be 18, tomorrow 20. Not only will bees taken the syrup last night, any spills in the apiaries will have been dissipated by rain.

Here the flows are over, and now all the crops are harvested, robbing prevention is important.

Reactions: Josh

Grant

Staff member
Founder Member
Platinum
Comment from the uk moved to