The way of the future?

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Christchurch
Experience
Hobbyist
‎BeeScanning

Granted I’m dubious.

And I don’t trust any app that needs me to register (aka get my details) before I can even test it.

But, what a cool concept. Maybe you take 4 photos and then get a mite level. No more shakes, no more fuss. Very nice concept.

Anyone used this app? Or anything like it?

For newbies, I am not even remotely suggesting this is a replacement for tried and tested.

Mummzie

Staff member
Tasman
Experience
Hobbyist
So........ how would a photograph of the bees on the frame give an accurate or useful mite reading?
What about the ones in the cells? What about the ones on the underside of the bees?
Its pretty much accepted if you can see mites, your hive is in a very bad way.
That might be why this App has had a very luke warm response on other bee forums.

• Agree
Reactions: John B
Christchurch
Experience
Hobbyist
So........ how would a photograph of the bees on the frame give an accurate or useful mite reading?
What about the ones in the cells? What about the ones on the underside of the bees?
Its pretty much accepted if you can see mites, your hive is in a very bad way.
That might be why this App has had a very luke warm response on other bee forums.

You did well to find anything on it, I tried and failed.

I guess the ones in cells are not normally part of a wash or drop count anyway. And their FAQ argues that they’re better at seeing the mites than a keeper.

But still, what a cool concept. Rather than all the faff of washing bees you can ask an algorithm to count them for you.