To burn or not to burn ???

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Hawkes Bay
Experience
Commercial
true, however is it worth doing?
For one or two hives it's not worth doing at all. If you get a really big outbreak it can be worthwhile. It certainly can be dangerous , 160 degrees plus is getting up there. Flareups aren't as bad as people think as long as you're not near a building and as long as you don't do anything stupid like chucking water on it. I have a removable fire tray and if it does catch fire I just remove the tray and it soon loses temperature and goes out.

maungaturoto
Experience
Commercial
Flareups aren't as bad as people think as long as you're not near a building and as long as you don't do anything stupid like chucking water on it. I have a removable fire tray and if it does catch fire I just remove the tray and it soon loses temperature and goes out.
flare ups are one thing, boil overs that ignite from your heat source can be a nitemare. if it boils over onto you, or runs along the ground setting other things on fire. pays to have it setup in a dip so it all stays in one place.

i think there is a story about some one who had it setup in the middle of their yard. one time it boiled over, caught alight and drained into the shed. bye bye shed.

canterbury
Experience
Commercial
flare ups are one thing, boil overs that ignite from your heat source can be a nitemare. if it boils over onto you, or runs along the ground setting other things on fire. pays to have it setup in a dip so it all stays in one place.

i think there is a story about some one who had it setup in the middle of their yard. one time it boiled over, caught alight and drained into the shed. bye bye shed.
Uhhuh.... what ever happens .... a parrafin wax fire gets the heart pumping.
We use water onthe outside of the tank and a big cover on the top to starve the O2

Christchurch
Experience
Hobbyist
Reminds me of the story of Talisker distillery on Skye. Their sill boiled over, burned the distillery down and the spirits flowed into the adjacent bay setting the water on fire, because it floated on top.

• Wow
Reactions: kaihoka