NZBF: Ugly drone through my brood

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Christchurch
Experience
Hobbyist
I’m thinking “bees know best”

But wondered if there was a need/way to get bees to tidy up drone cells amongst my lovely brood slabs.

Reactions: Grant

Dansar

Founder Member
BOP Club
Putaruru
Experience
Commercial
No. Once drone cell have been made they stay that way. Possibly the only option if you have plastic frames is to scrape off the area with drone comb and “maybe” the bees will draw out worker cells.
Other than that the best thing to do is remove the frame/s and start with fresh foundation.
If you are letting the bees make natural comb..you’ll have better results using nucleus colonies to draw out worker comb for you. Stronger colonies seem to make far more drone comb than required when using natural comb.

Christchurch
Experience
Hobbyist
No. Once drone cell have been made they stay that way. Possibly the only option if you have plastic frames is to scrape off the area with drone comb and “maybe” the bees will draw out worker cells.
Other than that the best thing to do is remove the frame/s and start with fresh foundation.
If you are letting the bees make natural comb..you’ll have better results using nucleus colonies to draw out worker comb for you. Stronger colonies seem to make far more drone comb than required when using natural comb.
Thanks @Dansar

I’m wax’n’wood. So will start to phase out some these frames.

No spare nucs, but interesting to use them for foundation building.

I’ve always just used my honey frames to replace. But now run out completely for honey supers so busy working double hard.