Resource icon

Understanding Tutin and the risks 2018

No permission to download
Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Grant

Staff member
Founder Member
Platinum
Grant submitted a new resource:

Understanding Tutin and the risks - What Tutin is, how it can get into your honey, and how to reduce the risk of this happening

Tutin, a plant toxin found in tutu plants, is a very real issue for New Zealand’s honey industry. Everyone needs to know about the risks from tutin and their legal obligations. This paper includes information on what tutin is, how it can get into your honey, and how to reduce the risk of this happening.

It is part of an education campaign undertaken by MPI and Apiculture New Zealand to raise awareness of the issue. We encourage you to check the resources available and to pass this...

Read more about this resource...

Reactions: NZDan
Auckland
Experience
Hobbyist
I just have a question related to the tutin test - non commercial level.
Did anybody encounter customers/consumers who are asking about the tutin test? Did you gave a copy of your test result to the customer or just showed them the paper?

Reactions: NZDan and Grant
Te Horo
Experience
Hobbyist
Great points team, but as a new bee, how is this tested? Is there a test kit etc or do we send it away.
I am damn sure that when I finally have honey produced I don't want to have anyone getting crook, even if it is a give away.

yesbut

Staff member
Nelson
Experience
Hobbyist
There are labs that test. I think that most intelligent hobbyists are probably quite capable of thinking of a way of testing. Honey (particularly comb) taken late in the season that has turned hot dry and short on floral resource is when tutin risk is highest. Get to know your bees foraging area, keep an eye on plants like grapes and Seven-Finger which always attract Passion Vine Hoppers if there are any...

Reactions: NZDan
Hastings
Experience
Semi Commercial
Hi NZDan,

You send a sample to a laboratory (Hills Labs for example). They will give you instructions how to do it. Pay a fee and they will let you know the result. I remember being really surprised the first time I sent a sample, I had taken the honey off early, done everything right and was still shocked to find Tutin in our honey, albeit at a very low level. Since then the acceptable level has been lowered even further and we will always have to be very careful with the honey we use for ourselves and give away.

Reactions: Grant and NZDan