Value and cost:benefit I'm not getting value from the PMP

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

NickWallingford

BOP Club
Tauranga
Experience
Retired
When I hear what sounds to me to be the same argument being used several times, it lets me know it is being repeated even more widely...

What I've heard is:

"The Agency has not been around to inspect my hives for the last 5 years. I'm not getting any value from the PMP."

"Beekeepers need a detailed operational breakdown so they can properly work out a cost:benefit for their own individual operations."

I think that approach to the review of the PMP is simply wrong.

The National Pest Management Plan is just that. The cost:benefits are expected to be for NZ as a whole. It is absolutely unrealistic to expect to be able to provide a meaningful analysis at an individual beekeeper's level.

Oh, yes, and the Mgmt Agency isn't there to inspect your hives - it is there to audit your inspections of your hives. There's an important distinction...

StephenB

Banned
New Zealand
Experience
Commercial
Nick

I think we agree on the point that its up to the beekeeper to manage there own AFB inspections/control

When you talk about "review of the PMP is simply wrong" I am not sure what what review you are talking about ? Beekeepers reviewing there own beekeeping or the current review being done of the PMP

Can you expand your thoughts a bit more

NickWallingford

BOP Club
Tauranga
Experience
Retired
I referred to "that approach to the review of the PMP is simply wrong". I'm certainly in favour of the (required) review.

Beekeepers should, can and do review their own operations, all of the time. What I'm hoping to forestall is an approach to the PMP review such as:

"I have not seen anyone from the Mgmt Agency to inspect my hives. And yet, I have had several cases of AFB. From a cost:benefit approach, the PMP has had a negative cost:benefit for me. I've paid levy, but still have AFB, and still haven't seen one of their inspectors..."

That, to me, is not what the National Pest Management Strategy is about...

Alastair

Founder Member
Platinum
Auckland
Experience
Semi Commercial
"The Agency has not been around to inspect my hives for the last 5 years. I'm not getting any value from the PMP."

This argument is exactly the same as saying "I'm not getting any value from the Police. They have not been to my home in the last 5 years, and I don't have any crime"

The value from the Police is the work they have done elsewhere and around you, and is why they have not had to be to your home.

Canterbury
Experience
Hobbyist
I usually think of my afb levies as an insurance. I only need actions that directly benefit me when I put a "claim" (for example when I report Afb found in my hives that I suspect it came from the neighborhood ) the Agency can inspect all apiaries near me to ensure my apiary doesn't get re infected, I cannot.
I had one of these incidents in 2010 and after a month or so I was pleased to receive a call from An AP1 notifying me that they had identified the apiary source of the infection I found.