Varroa Control methods in New Zealand

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
maungaturoto
Experience
Commercial
Hi Fizzbizz, a lot of beekeepers had problems with bayvarol last autumn.
i wonder if a lot of people have gone back to using bayvarol constantly due to costs.

thats the problem we had many years ago now, most beeks used to use bayvarol only, until the first lot of resistance hit.

Russia
Experience
International
yes, we have that in strip form. but its not cheap.
Please explain what does it mean in the form of a Strip? I tried different options. And with oil napkins, and water solutions. I recently bought an amitraz aerosol for 300 colonies for$ 21. P.S. I want to find out if my comments are appropriate in your topics. Are you interested in learning about prices and methods from other countries? ?

Te Horo
Experience
Hobbyist
Hi team, when the weather gets a bit warmer (tomorrow hopefully), I plan on doing a varroa test and put in my Bayvarol strips.
I know it is 4 per brood box, but what if I moved my brood into one box and shifted their stores into another. Do I still include the stores box with my strips or will it effect their stores.
I have enough strips either way.

Trevor Gillbanks

Founder Member
Palmerston North
Experience
Hobbyist
The strips are going to be in for 6 to 8 weeks (I do 8 weeks), by which time the queen will be laying in both boxes again. I use 4 strip per double brood box.
Now, along will come other beeks who will say that 2 strips are enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grant
Christchurch
Experience
Hobbyist
The strips are going to be in for 6 to 8 weeks (I do 8 weeks), by which time the queen will be laying in both boxes again. I use 4 strip per double brood box.
Question Trev…

Presumably there is a risk of resistance if you double dose, but are you possibly wasting money. Or, in you’re vastly greater experience than I, do you have less treatment issues as a result?
Finally, do you also double up on your alternative season treatment too?

Last edited by a moderator:

tommy dave

Gold
BOP Club
mostly wellington, sometimes dunedin
Experience
Hobbyist
or six. I'm adding strips to a few hives today - i was going to do it the week that lockdown started, and I know I was technically still allowed to, but doing so today instead. My prediction is that they'll get between three and eight bayvarol strips each :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Trevor Gillbanks

Founder Member
Palmerston North
Experience
Hobbyist
Question Trev…

Presumably there Islas risk of resistance if you double dose, but are you possibly wasting money. Or, in you’re vastly greater experience than I, do you have less treatment issues as a result?
Finally, do you also double up on your alternative season treatment too?
Several questions.
No, I don't think I am wasting money as the instructions are for Apivar/Apitraz is for 2 strips per brood box. Some people try to save money by undertreating.
I do not have a chemical resistance problem with my bees. (I do alcohol washes to test for effectiveness).
Under treating will give you resistance as the varroa gets a sublethal dose and then becomes immune to the chemical.
I am not doubling up on the treatment level, I am following the manufactures advice. Others are under treating by using half the strips.

There are plenty of others out there who will think I am talking rubbish, but as I said, I do alcohol washes to prove the effectiveness of my treatments. Before, during and after treatments.

Over to you

Taupo
Experience
Hobbyist
Several questions.
No, I don't think I am wasting money as the instructions are for Apivar/Apitraz is for 2 strips per brood box.
I am not doubling up on the treatment level, I am following the manufactures advice. Others are under treating by using half the strips.
Just trying to clarify for this dumbarse(me)....in your previous post you said you use 8 strips per double brood box....I took that to mean 4 per box? If the instructions are for 2 strips per box... areyou are doubling up? Or have I read it wrong?

Trevor Gillbanks

Founder Member
Palmerston North
Experience
Hobbyist
Just trying to clarify for this dumbarse(me)....in your previous post you said you use 8 strips per double brood box....I took that to mean 4 per box? If the instructions are for 2 strips per box... are you are doubling up? Or have I read it wrong?
Sorry. Yes. Getting my Treatments mixed up.
Apivar and Apitraz is 2 strips per brood box.
Bayvarol 4 strips per brood box.
Apistan (I think) 2 per brood box. I don't use Apistan.

I will go back and fix my posts. Thanks

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: Gordie
Christchurch
Experience
Hobbyist
Just trying to clarify for this dumbarse(me)....in your previous post you said you use 8 strips per double brood box....I took that to mean 4 per box? If the instructions are for 2 strips per box... areyou are doubling up? Or have I read it wrong?
I’m the dummy, sorry @Trevor. I should have seen it was per DOUBLE brood box🤦